Anyone know anything about this one?

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
i ordered monday and got mine wednesday so i've been playing around on it quite a bit
i actually saw this thread before buying it but i figure i would throw my 2cents in

this ships with 2.3.4 and no way of updating through the options
some options are hidden in the settings (ie battery usage, you can open it with a settings shortcut however)
iview didnt do a good job optimizing the os for this device, there are home volume menu and back icons in the statusbar, unneeded imo since the device has the physical buttons. also it ships with phone software on it, another useless icon taking up space... unfortunatly you cant disable it without root (afaik) its also what eats up your battery (battery usage reported 75% to cell standby O_O) if you have root, disabling it is pretty easy although the useless icon stays atop.. i disabled it by appending "ro.carrier=wifi-only" to /system/build.prop
after rebooting cell standby (whats been eating the battery) wont be running
with wifi and cell standby disabled, and screen brightness all the way down i got 7 hours on battery (mixed in with about 2 hours of standby) with just isilo (special document reader)
another con (not iviews fault) is netflix from market doesnt play nice, the episode select window only shows in landscape and even then you cant select 2 episodes every other 3 (the episodes get scrolled out of view) i ended up using an older one and it works just fine (with slight audio lag)
i ended up installing go launcher ex because the stock launcher doesnt let you modify the dock...
mine came with a mic recorder.apk which never installed itself (found it in system/apps)
i think thats it for the cons... haha

the good things are:
the os is far from sluggish, the capacative screen is very responsive
easily rooted (did mine with superoneclick)
runs games pretty well, i only tried a free 3d bowling game but no lag :D
charges via usb and dc
not too big not too small

overall its a really nice device for the price, i just wish iview took more time and removed those icons and cell apps
this is my first android device and second smart mobile device (first is iphone 3g)
btw im posting with the tablet :eek:

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
I think the latest SuperOneClick has a automatic driver install feature.

Or you can add this to 'android_winusb.inf' from almost any adb driver package, they're all basically the same except what's defined in that file. I've used the same files for Coby 7022, Kindle Fire and the iView just by adding the lines for each device (changing the VID/PID as needed):

Add under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64]
Code:
;iView 760TPC
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0002
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0002&MI_01

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
The device is rooted out of the box Auztin, all I had to do was install Superuser from the market and let it update my su binary. I installed root explorer just now and added the ro.carrier=wifi-only line to my build.prop, hopefully my battery life improves.

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
before rooting i plugged it in via usb and was able to access /sdcard (and my external sd) without installing anything
superoneclick said it needed a driver in order to root it so i let it install the driver
is it really rooted out of the box :O? i thought something like this would never come rooted
kellman: after rebooting let it charge all the way to clear battery stats then unplug and see if cell standby is listed, if not battery life should last longer

edit: forgot to mention that you also need to move/remove/rename Phone.apk and Telephonyprovider.apk from /system/app for cell standby to turn off, oddly you need to do this and edit build.prop for cell standby to go away

Last edited:

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
I played around with modding 'SystemUI.apk' to remove the redundant soft keys in the status bar. After a bit of work, I finally removed them without the status bar crashing or the expand downward not working. I think the signal bars will take a bit longer, but I have gotten other useless icons to show up :D

Attachments

• $shot_000001.jpg
    $shot_000001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 742
  • $shot_000002.jpg
    $shot_000002.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 758

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
I managed to get the Ployer momo9 version of 4.0.1 ICS onto my tablet. Everything still works decent on it, the only problem I am still having with it is I can't get flash to work. My wife likes this thing so much that she wants me to order another for her :)

Here is a Link to a thread about installing ICS

And another Link to the scripts that install Google Apps once you get ICS installed

$IMG_0555-1024.jpg$IMG_0556-1024.jpg$IMG_0557-1024.jpg$IMG_0560-1024.jpg

$img0552kj.jpg

Last edited:

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
Nice. Heh, I was almost forced into trying it.

I tried a restore with CWM, which didn't work so well. It restored '/system' well enough, but pooched the boot partition. Of course I didn't have a stock dump and only had the CWM backups, so I had to figure out how to restore the .ext4.tar CWM had made of the boot partition and figure out why it didn't work in the first place. It was fixable sort of. Right now my boot partition is ext2, when it should be ext4.

Could someone with a 760tpc make a image of the boot partition and upload it somewhere? Shouldn't be more that 30-something mb.
adb shell "cat /dev/block/nandb > /sdcard/boot.img"
adb pull /sdcard/boot.img

Thanks

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
before rooting i plugged it in via usb and was able to access /sdcard (and my external sd) without installing anything
superoneclick said it needed a driver in order to root it so i let it install the driver
is it really rooted out of the box :O? i thought something like this would never come rooted
kellman: after rebooting let it charge all the way to clear battery stats then unplug and see if cell standby is listed, if not battery life should last longer

edit: forgot to mention that you also need to move/remove/rename Phone.apk and Telephonyprovider.apk from /system/app for cell standby to turn off, oddly you need to do this and edit build.prop for cell standby to go away

I tried deleting those two files(I downloaded Root Browser), and cell standby is still there... and now I can't get into Root Browser to edit build.prop.

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
I tried deleting those two files(I downloaded Root Browser), and cell standby is still there... and now I can't get into Root Browser to edit build.prop.
you need to edit build.prop and delete those two files (though i would have backed them up just in case) then reboot and let it fully charge and then unplug it, THEN check if cell standby is there (it shouldnt be)
if root browser isnt opening, try to force stop it from settings>applications>manage applications>root explorer
i used file expert to do this, so if that still doesnt work try that

igthorn: i'd be happy to do that for you, but you have to tell me how you removed those icons (decompiled and edited classes.dex? or the .xml for each icon?) :p
i'll do those commands in a few hours, i have to go somewhere right now

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks.

It's pretty easy to edit the apk. Decompile with apktool. Then edit the smali and xmls. And if you want you can modify/swap out the icons. After that you just recompile with apktool then you need to sign it with signapk.jar or ZipSigner2 app. I did all the editing and recompiling on my pc. Then pushed the unsigned apk to sdcard and signed it on the tablet using 'platform' keys. After that I just copied the signed apk over the original in /system/app (after making a backup of the original :p). After you copy the modded over the original the status bar will disappear until you reboot. Fix the permissions. Then once you reboot the soft keys will be gone. I still need to work on the signal bars.

I setup apktool manually, but there is an apk toolkit.

I commented out a bunch of lines in 'smali/com/android/systemui/statusbar/StatusBarView.smali' and delete a few lines in 'res/layout/status_bar.xml'. So it's easier to just upload both the decompiled versions of the original/modified apks, you can take your time comparing. I'll also upload a recompiled unsigned apk, which you should be able to sign and use.

basic steps:
apktool d SystemUI.apk
<edit smali/xml/images>
apktool b SystemUI
<if it compiles without errors, inside the SystemUI directory, there will two new directories. Build and dist. The modded and unsigned apk is in dist.
adb push SystemUI-mod-unsigned.apk /sdcard/
<sign apk with ZipSigner2 using 'platform' key/mod>
adb remount
adb shell cp /system/app/SystemUI.apk /sdcard/SystemUI.apk.orig
adb shell cp /sdcard/SystemUI-signed.apk /system/app/SystemUI.apk
adb chmod 644 /system/app/SystemUI.apk
adb reboot

Links:
android-apktool - A tool for reengineering Android apk files - Google Project Hosting
[Windows XP/VISTA/7][UTILITY][TOOL] APK Multi-Tool - xda-developers
https://market.android.com/details?id=kellinwood.zipsigner2

Attachments

• $SystemUI-decompiled.zip
    600.7 KB · Views: 215
  • $SystemUI-mod-unsigned.zip
    162.5 KB · Views: 207

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
adding ro.carrier=wifi-only and renaming Phone.apk/TelephonyProvider.apk in /system/app works in 4.0.1. before these modifications the Mobile Network Signal was solid red, now it is yellow.

Update: This did the trick, I have had my tablet in standby for 2 hours now with wifi off and didn't even loose 1% of my battery charge. Beside disabling any trace of mobile data searching I also installed SetCPU to allow the CPU to clock down when it isn't needed so hopefully that helps my battery life too.

Last edited:

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
Okay, as of last boot, everything seems to be working okay; I managed to get into Root Browser without having to deal with a force close, and cell standby is now gone. So... w00t?

Last edited:

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
Okay, as of last boot, everything seems to be working okay; I managed to get int oRoot Browser without having to deal with a force close, and cell standby is now gone. So... w00t?
now your battery should last MUCH longer
@Igthorn: thanks a ton for the SystemUI mod, my statusbar has much more room :D
wish i knew more about how android worked, i could remove the signal icon myself but im happy with it for now haha