Anyone know anything about this one?

Almaz

Jan 13, 2012
Getting rid of cell standby (battery drainer) is pretty easy, and removing the icons is just as easy, although a bit more involved.
To disable cell standby, thus increasing battery life:
  • Get a file explorer with root capabilities (i used file expert, free and no ads ^^)
  • navigate to /system/app
  • rename Phone.apk to Phone.apk.old (disables it, and lets you keep a backup just in case)
  • rename TelephonyProvider.apk to TelephonyProvider.apk.old (same as before)
  • navigate to /system
  • open build.prop with an editor (file expert comes with an editor, long press build.prop select open as, select text)
  • at the end of the file add the line "ro.carrier=wifi-only"
  • reboot your tablet
  • to ensure cell standby isnt eating your battery life, let your tablet charge fully, then check battery usage and see if its listed (to view battery usage add a shortcut to the homescreen, settings>battery usage (its hidden in the actual settings for some reason))

Would it work for Android 4/ICS ?

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
this is my very first android device, and I've only had it a week and a half so I only know for sure about this one
however the steps may be generic, try it out being sure to make backups so you can restore it should it fail to work
but like I said I don't know how different android is on each device

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
To remove useless icons (Home, Volume up/down, Menu, Back, Cell signal, Alarm):
  • download View attachment 5496 and extract the apk from the zip
  • from the market download ZipSigner 2
  • put the SystemUI mod on your device somehow (using a PC and USB will work, downloading directly from tablet works)
  • using ZipSigner 2, sign the file with the key "platform" (press "Choose in/out" button, select .apk file, choose platform from pulldown under Key/Mode, press sign the file)
  • navigate to /system/app and copy SystemUI.apk to SystemUI.apk.old (this is for a backup, just in case CAUTION: renaming or deleting the file will cause an infinite loop in the device telling you "Sorry, systemui has crashed, try again")
  • copy the signed file (the one you made with ZipSigner 2) to /system/app overwriting the original (make sure you have a backup) (after overwriting, the statusbar will disappear and won't return until reboot)
  • reboot, when your tablet is done rebooting the icons should no longer clutter the statusbar
A word of caution, unless your absolutely positively sure you know what you're doing, NEVER delete a system file unless you have a backup (even then, be cautious about messing with system files)
I hope this was clear enough :)

After renaming stock SystemUI.apk you will most likely have to do a hard power down and reboot because it will tell you that Systemui process has stopped unexpectedly, even if you force close it will keep popping up the error (Do this by holding the Pwr button down until the device powers off, Then reboot) it will boot back up without a status bar, but it should still function well enough to get the new apk signed and moved. I also changed the permissions on the newly modified SystemUI.apk to match the original (In Root explorer, long press the new SystemUI.apk, select permissions, and make sure Owner: Read/Write Group:Read and Others:Read are the only permissions that are checked)

Last edited:

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
It's good to know that it's working well for $130. After a little bit research I ended up buying Ainol Aurora with IPS screen, 1GB of RAM, 3700mah, ICS and 8GB internal storage just for a little bit more money and better specs.
The reason I got the Iview instead of another tablet is because Newegg has faster shipping than places selling the Ainol (2 Day free shipping with Shoprunner). I have also dealt with them before on returns, this being an unknown item with no reviews at the time I wasn't sure how good it was going to be, and I knew that Newegg is pretty decent at returning items if they are not as expected. My wife actually likes this so much she wants me to order another one.

Last edited:

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
After renaming stock SystemUI.apk you will most likely have to do a hard power down and reboot because it will tell you that Systemui process has stopped unexpectedly, even if you force close it will keep popping up the error (Do this by holding the Pwr button down until the device powers off, Then reboot) it will boot back up without a status bar, but it should still function well enough to get the new apk signed and moved. I also changed the permissions on the newly modified SystemUI.apk to match the original (In Root explorer, long press the new SystemUI.apk, select permissions, and make sure Owner: Read/Write Group:Read and Others:Read are the only permissions that are checked)
Thats why i prefer to copy the original and overwrite it with the signed modded version, then it'll just close without complaining and you still have a backup :p

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
Getting rid of cell standby (battery drainer) is pretty easy, and removing the icons is just as easy, although a bit more involved.
To disable cell standby, thus increasing battery life:
  • Get a file explorer with root capabilities (i used file expert, free and no ads ^^)
  • navigate to /system/app
  • rename Phone.apk to Phone.apk.old (disables it, and lets you keep a backup just in case)
  • rename TelephonyProvider.apk to TelephonyProvider.apk.old (same as before)
  • navigate to /system
  • open build.prop with an editor (file expert comes with an editor, long press build.prop select open as, select text)
  • at the end of the file add the line "ro.carrier=wifi-only"
  • reboot your tablet
  • to ensure cell standby isnt eating your battery life, let your tablet charge fully, then check battery usage and see if its listed (to view battery usage add a shortcut to the homescreen, settings>battery usage (its hidden in the actual settings for some reason))

Yes, the instructions to get rid of the cell standby battery hog work the same in 4.0/ICS. I tested my tablet out with ICS but ultimately went back to 2.3.4 for now. Flash wasn't working correctly in 4.0, and Netflix didn't play as smoothly in ICS. I also had a few games that I like that would force close in ICS. Maybe when there is a version of 4.0.3 for the A10 platform I will try again, for now I'm back on Gingy.

View attachment 5501
Yellow mobile network signal bar indicates no power being taken for this process, this bar was red before I did the modifications to build.prop and apks

Last edited:

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
just out of curiosity, how do you upgrade to ics? (new to android and all)

First DL
[FONT=宋体, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MOMO9加强版Android 4.0固件 firmware from [/FONT]http://www.ployer.cn/prshow.asp?id=112&p=zc
[FONT=宋体, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then you will need to make sure that the ADB driver for your tablet is installed, The easiest way to get this done is to Download and install PDANet it will install ADB drivers for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Next install The LiveSuitPack included with the firmware, after this is installed you can follow on screen instructions for Mandatory Update.

Once in ICS you will need to change language and KB to english, and there you go. Market is already installed and you are ready to go.
[/FONT]​

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
Mine is *finally* set to deliver today. Newegg was great about my UPS claim, though my replacement was sent by standard ground instead of 3day select like the first one was, so I had to wait a couple extra days. No biggie.

I want to thank the folks here who have reviewed theirs, and helped optimize it for everyone. Removing the cell standby is going to be 1st thing once the box is open. ICS...I don't see the advantage, especially if you lose Flash.

I also want to ask, I hear the included case is terrible and hits the power button...has anyone found a better case? Should I just grab a Kindle Fire case? The Iview is only about 0.2" thinner than the Fire, so it should be close enough, I think, but if anyone can say for sure "this one works, and doesn't block buttons or the camera" I'd appreciate it.

allen2scott

Dec 22, 2011
I've renamed the cell standby files, but for some reason it won't let me save the line for the .prop file. Any suggestions??

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
I actually don't have any problems with the case, yes it does go over the power button headphone jack and power port, but it hasn't turned off or even locked by itself, the only issue is the strap to keep it closed gets in the way when its opened, all I do is stuff it behind the tablet and its fine
camera isn't blocked unless the case is closed (duh :p)

thanks Kellmen, if I ever want to upgrade I know how now lol
oh another question, upgrading erases everything right? including apps and stuff? I'm thinking yes but might as well make sure

allen2scott

Dec 22, 2011
I can already see a difference in the battery life. Normally about an hour of continuous use, the battery icon is in the yellow. Now it's 3/4 full. This is all I'm allowed to do with it. My wife doesn't like me messing with the programming. So I'll keep messing with my Android phone until I get an Iview for myself.

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
hmm... it seems dust is collecting UNDER the screen ._.
anyone know how to clean it safely lol its driving me nuts with it all stuck there

markm

Jan 25, 2012
Following the instructions that Kellman provided to update to ICS, and it worked like a charm! However, would someone be able to post a guide to downgrade back to Gingerbread?

I see that on the iviewus.com website, they do not post a Gingerbread recovery image. Would the ployer image for the MOMO9 work Firmware-Shenzhen Ployer Electronics Co., Ltd ??