Anyone know where to get cheap plastic shields??

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Is there anything wrong with using clear contact? The same stuff that you wrap school/library books with.

The thing I would be concerned about is the residue it would leave on your screen. The commercial screen protectors have special glues,to (mostly) prevent that.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

robdroid

May 4, 2011
OK, so I said I'd update if my screen protector situation got rectified. It did - immediately. I couldn't have asked for better service. It was immediate and honest and I had the new screen protector in hand within 3 days.

It is antiglare, antifingerprint, just as it's advertised and I'm very pleased with it. It doesn't affect the screen sensitivity and it's easy to see through. I'm as happy as I can get with it:

Amazon.com: POSRUS Antiglare Antifingerprint Screen Protector for Acer Iconia A500 Tablet: Electronics
My order from POSRUS arrived yesterday and I applied this protector last night- very happy with it.
It has changed the screen from ultra high gloss (A500's plain glass) to more of a "frosted" surface that's much more resistant to fingerprints and pinpoint/mirror glare. Of course, since it's "frosted" it does diffuse the original sharpness a tiny bit- but you don't even notice that after a few min use. I also like the actual touch/drag characteristics of the surface better now as it's less "tacky" than just plain glass and makes for a smoother swiping action. As to glare- it also diffuses the actual spot where the reflection hits the screen- so you don't get the sharp reflection of the light source hitting you right in the eye. There's still some glare- but it's diffused now.

For under $20 this protector's very good. Showed it to my wife- now she wants one for her Nook!

Last edited:

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Glad it worked out for you, Rob. I ended up bumping my brightness up a little bit and I'm all good. You're right - you don't notice the slight loss of sharpness after a few uses. I love the way it feels and how it seems to reject fingerprints.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Glad it worked out for you, Rob. I ended up bumping my brightness up a little bit and I'm all good. You're right - you don't notice the slight loss of sharpness after a few uses. I love the way it feels and how it seems to reject fingerprints.
As a followup to my followup-
Found a very inexpensive screen cleaner spray with unlimited free refills- Costco eyeglass cleaner spray.
Go to the eyeglass department at Costco- buy the spray once, they give you free lifetime refills... you just bring in your spray bottle and refill it at no charge whenever you run low. I've used it on my uncoated Nook Color- worked great, used it before I skinned the Acer screen- worked great, also works great on the Acer now with the screen protector. That spray bottle produces a very fine mist that seems perfect for tablets and it's safe for all plastic and glass.
Free is good!

Oh yeah- use the spray then rub with a micro-fiber cloth... your screen will look better then the day you first took it out of the box!

Last edited: