Anyone knows if it's possible to share phone's internet connection with Vizio Tablet?

jose94

Oct 9, 2011
I own the htc hd2 and apparently it allows me to share my internet connection with other devices but I haven't been successful at figuring it out on my Vizio Tablet. Anyone has any idea of how this is done? Or Any links to any tutorials on how to do this. I would love to be able to go online anywhere with the Tablet.

I appreciate your help :)

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
Many higher end phones have the wifi hotspot app that let other devices connect to it and use its 3g/4g data connection. But most providers charge $20 - $30 per month.

If your phone is rooted and runs a custom wifi tether app, you can bypass the provider's wifi app which requires the monthly charge. Of course, rooting voids the phone's warranty and many people consider the use of a custom wifi tether app as stealing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

eski15

Sep 6, 2011
I have been able to use my iPhone 4 hotspot using WiFi on the Visio. Works really well. Didnt need any tutorial just paired them and it worked!

kb2vyz

Jul 28, 2011
To use your phone as a wifi hotspot for your tablet or any other Android device, you will need to download ZT-180 or any other ad-hoc connecting type apps. I have been using ZT-180 Successfully for some time now.

Frank

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

anealysr

Oct 9, 2011
I use freeteather on my palm pre to connect my tablet

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Most android phones won't create or connect to an ad hoc network unless they are rooted/running a custom ROM.

Recent Android phones do have a wifi hotspot setting that can be used to connect the VTAB to the internet. Do some research if you want free tethering (which will probably violate your carrier's TOS agreement) or pay the tethering fee that the carrier's charge which varies for $15 to $30 a month on top of your data plan.

edit: This might help - a tutorial for using the wifi hotspot in Android. Note - using this method may incur extra fees from your carrier.

Last edited:

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
You don't need anything special other vtab, but you do need hotspot capability from your provider. I use Verizon and pay for hotspot over 4g lte on my htc Thunderbolt phone. Once you have that configured you just connect the vtab as you would to any wifi.

jose94

Oct 9, 2011
Thank you all for your responses. I figured out how to set up my phone's wifi router and I can connect on my laptop but I still don't know why my vizio tablet doesn't show it on the wireless networks list. I must be missing somethin :(

dornstar

Sep 3, 2011
Easy. Root your android phone and use the Wifi Tether app.

kincer

Oct 10, 2011
Hello all, new guy here, I have the original MOTO Droid 1 and its rooted and I have the Barnacle WiFi tether app, works great with my laptop but my VTAB wont detect it, how can I get it to work?

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
Hello all, new guy here, I have the original MOTO Droid 1 and its rooted and I have the Barnacle WiFi tether app, works great with my laptop but my VTAB wont detect it, how can I get it to work?

I have the same problem. I am able to tether OK to my laptop using my rooted Moto Droid but the VTAB does not seem to find the hotspot. It never comes up in the Available Wireless Networks list.

Is there some other trick or setting that I am missing?

THANKS!

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Barnacle creates an ad hoc network - many devices will not connect to an ad hoc network. You would need an app on the VTAB to allow ad hoc to work, and probably a rooted VTAB. You need to use an app on the phone that creates a wifi hotspot with an SSID - in other words turns your phone into a router.

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
If you have a phone with hotspot capabilities and have it enabled with your carrier there is nothing required on the vtab. You connect to your hotspot as you would any other wifi. I do this all the time with my htc Thunderbolt and Verizon. That's how I'm connected now.