Anyone second guessing their decision to buy an Android tablet?

SocialCarpet

Aug 14, 2011
I really like my Toshiba Thrive, but the sad selection of apps in the Marketplace and especially the lack of a working Netflix app and no Hulu, are beginning to make me question my decision. :(

Yes, I know I can root my tablet and hack a bunch of stuff and try to stay one step ahead, but I'm not interested in a jury-rigged hacked solution.

This is my first Android device and there are lots of things I like about it. I don't want an iPad, but this crap is getting old. Netflix has nothing to say about whether or not there will even be a working app for this tablet or any other Android tablet. No idea if Hulu will ever work either.

Crackle.com sucks. Paying $5.99 to rent one movie off the Android market sucks. The only other option is to pirate stuff and then side-load it onto my tablet.

Is the Android tablet just best left to people who are enthusiastic about rooting and tinkering with stuff and then troubleshooting it when it doesn't work right?

I don't want an iPad either, but I can't help but feel we are being left out in the cold here. Netflix doesn't care. Hulu doesn't care. None of the legit streaming sites seem to give a crap and it seems most of my fellow Android users don't even care because they accept rooting and hacking as part of the deal.

Anyone feel the way I do? Disappointed in the selection and quality of apps for Honeycomb?

To me it looks like worst case scenario, I have a tablet and platform that is useless for streaming media. Best case scenario is these things will come to Android tablets, but be limited to the next gen processors and ice cream sandwich.

Some people don't want to pirate 10 TB of movies to upload onto their devices. I have neither the time nor the will for that.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I have to wonder if Amazon will be able to bring Android tablets to the mainstream in a way that will appeal to consumers the way the ipad has. It is somewhat understandable how difficult it must be for companies to try to keep up with so many hardware/softwarf variations in ths Android world.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

rickio

May 14, 2011
I have 3 tablets and have netflix on all. You can get a fixed version of netflix at xdadevelopers forum. Also you can stream movies in your browser with no need to install anything at amazon.com if your a prime member, also they give you a free month.
Its easy to slide load apps in any android device, some won't work but many will.
Use google to research these ideas.
I can try to help as well.

Sent from my Full Android on S5PV210 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited: