Anyone try the LagFix (fstrim) app yet?

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Anyone try the LagFix (fstrim) app yet??

Any idea if the app actually helps or not?

I feel like my A2109 is slightly faster now, well i could be wrong but who knows :D

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
never heard of it before your post, read the reviews decided to pass, on a quad core my guess it does nothing.

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
I think it just came out yesterday or maybe earlier. Still not sure if it actually helps or not. Most of the reviews are about Galaxy Nexus, but there are few about Nexus 7, too.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I just saw it on AndroidPolice tonight. Wonder how well it works.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Using the best governor for your device works well. meaning use a governor that performs the best in the way one uses their device each person uses their device differently, so one governor or scheduler doesn't work the best for everyone.

Anyway this method is just cleaning, not needed for the most part, I have tested it on and off over several years on my Linux never really saw any improvement, there is a lot of data on it mileage varies from my own personal experience with trim I saw no real improvement.
Some people claim differently, i see improvement with changing governors, over clocking, and such.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The LagFix TRIM is not about the CPU usage, but proper formatting (TRIM) of the storage.

I know my TF101 was running slow, especially when installing new apps (almost threw it out the window when running some updates as it was UN-USABLE). I finally wiped it and re-formatted the /data/media/ partition with TWRP (ext4) and it was like night and day.

If you have a slow boot drive on a computer due to a partitioning/file management issue, no amount of CPU speed, RAM, or aggressive governors is going to fix it.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The LagFix TRIM is not about the CPU usage, but proper formatting (TRIM) of the storage.

I know my TF101 was running slow, especially when installing new apps (almost threw it out the window when running some updates as it was UN-USABLE). I finally wiped it and re-formatted the /data/media/ partition with TWRP (ext4) and it was like night and day.

If you have a slow boot drive on a computer due to a partitioning/file management issue, no amount of CPU speed, RAM, or aggressive governors is going to fix it.

I have never had that problem. Perhaps I avoid the problem you had by deving, ie changing, testing rom as i probably format my partitions at least once a month. in your case this sounds like this was over a long period of time, since you had last formatted your data

on Linux we enable trim by adding discard to fstab one should be able to do the same thing to android, on the a2109 tablet, it could be added to fstab.kai, I have no interest in using it though, but if it helps some great.

Also i think the name lagfix is misleading, lagfix is done by cpu and governors, trim is trash removal.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have thought about this several times today, made no sense to me to add trim to android, after some more reading and searching, this seems to be a google problem, and one htc device, seems all nexus are effected, meaning google did a poor quality control when releasing these devices, perhaps they should just release an update to fix the problem.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] LagFix (fstrim)

I really like that AuxLV took the time to post the FAQ, that clears up a lot of my questions, mainly why?

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I have thought about this several times today, made no sense to me to add trim to android, after some more reading and searching, this seems to be a google problem, and one htc device, seems all nexus are effected, meaning google did a poor quality control when releasing these devices, perhaps they should just release an update to fix the problem.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] LagFix (fstrim)

I really like that AuxLV took the time to post the FAQ, that clears up a lot of my questions, mainly why?

I think Asus uses junk NAND. Maybe it's TLC and that causes the problem, or maybe it's the controller. I've heard that even with their top-of-the-line tablets, simply downloading a file will cause awful blocking problems that make the system stutter if you're trying to access the storage with another app. Anyway, on a related topic, Anand is saying that SSDs perform much better if they have 25% free space. Of course he's posted a bunch of testing. Oh, regarding the Asus problems -- set swappiness to zero. The last thing you want is extra disk access.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012

Oops. I didn't check out the app, so I just made an assumption.