Anyway to install new launcher without root?

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
Do any of the downloadable android market launchers work with S7 Slim stock? I'm not rooted, hence why I ask. Thanks

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You don't need root to install a third party launcher, although I hear some people are having problems with launchers on the Slim, you might want to read up on it a bit. People have posted their experiences here in the forum. Maybe someone will reply that has a Slim, but again you don't need root.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Like Tom T said, you don't need root to use a 3rd party launcher.

TechieK

Jun 10, 2011
Don't install a Launcher on the S7 Slim without installing a few other pieces first!! Do yourself a favor and install ADB and if you're unsure of the command lines install QtADB (it's a more "user-friendly version). When I installed Launcher Pro on my S7 Slim and rebooted, the screen wouldn't respond to touch. Couldn't figure out what to do so I took it back to Best Buy and got a replacement. Got the second tablet and checked this helpful forum and installed ADB and QtADB. I then reinstalled a different launcher with the same result but this time used QtADB and simply took out the launcher, rebooted and all was well.So far I have not found a launcher app that works as a replacement on the S7 Slim.This forum seems to be the most current, so if an answer is found it will be posted here. Stay tuned and don't give up.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Ask and ye shall receive, that's what I love about this forum. If you need to figure out how something works there is usually someone here that has done it or is crazy enough to try it.

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
I don't know if it would help with the slim, but the original S7 treated the replacement launcher like an app ("Zeam" would hover at the top of the screen as a notification) until I uninstalled the Huawei launcher. After I removed the stock launcher, Zeam would function like the true homescreen (no app name at the top).

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I had this exact same problem and sure enough I removed the stock launcher and all was well. I also dropped the new launcher in System/App but I don't think that really mattered.

TheRookiGB

Jan 18, 2011
Buy ADW EX in Android Market and install. Then when you press the Home key it will ask you which Home screen you want to run. Default Huawei or ADW Home. Simple pick ADW. Then after every restart it will boot with ADW and not Huawei until you change it again in settings or unistall it.

To access settings in ADW press the settings button on the side, then select MORE on the screen. ADW settings appear. 90% will work fine.

Huawei S7 103 UK spec on Vodafone 3g sim - Flashed to Indonessia Rom 2.2. (ADW works on 2.1 non Flashed).

Cheers

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
Buy ADW EX in Android Market and install. Then when you press the Home key it will ask you which Home screen you want to run. Default Huawei or ADW Home. Simple pick ADW. Then after every restart it will boot with ADW and not Huawei until you change it again in settings or unistall it.

To access settings in ADW press the settings button on the side, then select MORE on the screen. ADW settings appear. 90% will work fine.

Huawei S7 103 UK spec on Vodafone 3g sim - Flashed to Indonessia Rom 2.2. (ADW works on 2.1 non Flashed).

Cheers

I think the point is that on the Slim, even if you do this, the replacement launcher has problems. I could be mis-reading the post though.

I know that on the orig S7, the replacement launcher would still have the orig launcher hovering in the background until you removed orig launcher (which requires root).

TechieK

Jun 10, 2011
@JDubTrey .... You didn't misread the post. On the S7 Slim if you follow the process described in the last post the screen will NOT respond to touch. I have sent an email to Huawei asking if there is any work-around for this. I have yet to hear back from them.

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
Thanks for all the responses. There isn't a way to get another launcher to work with the stock slim from what it sounds like- or that seems to be the consensus. Hopefully somebody will figure out a work around eventually.... I'll be checking back and hoping....

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum