Anyway to make audio sound better?

heem_infinite

Feb 3, 2011
I bought this mainly to listen to music while at work. I was going to get another creative mp3 player but wanted something that could do more. Listening to this through my akg headphones and my car stereo for a couple of days, then going back to my zen vision M I noticed how terrible the sound is with this thing. Are there any add-ons or audio card type devices that can make it better? I've been playing music with PowerAmp by the way and have adjusted the equalizer. I was going to get the Ziio but liked the idea of the 250gb hd which is very nice. But if this is the best the sound is going to get I might have to look elsewhere. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Then you must have a defective unit. The Creative and Archos are both known for their sound quality and built in equalizer/balance capability. The only thing I can think of otherwise is a floating ground issue between the unit and your input. Are you powering off the internal battery or a power adapter. I had an issue that was similar an IRiver. but iI realized I had a floating ground in the unit. I ended up returning the unit for replacement. That resolved the buzz which I had.

heem_infinite

Feb 3, 2011
I already sent it back to circuit city. Any recommendations on what to try next? I'm thinking about the ziio, x-fi2 or archos 5. Maybe i can just tell circuitcity to just exchange the 7o IT. Should I have to turn the volume over 75% to be able to get any decent listening out of it?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I was interpreting your earlier comment about audio problem on quality not volume. The volume problem could still be a problem with the unit.

BUT.....your problem if just volume is twofold. (Unless you have hearing problems ;-) ) Regulatory control and Impedance driver. The problem of mandated volume controls from the EU causes frustration as the volume is capped and limited. The way around that was to use an in-line amp. There was a delimiter hack, but it was for gen7. I am not sure it works with Gen8.
The other issue which is known to be resolved with an in-line amp is the impedance load of the system. Most systems for docking expect a non-volume limited output or the volume cranked up on the mobile device to 90%. This has been true since I can remember. I do not think Archos has had a "line" option since Gen 6 or Using a docking station on Gen7 and Gen 8.

heem_infinite

Feb 3, 2011
Would a FiiO E5 help? I'm starting to like the Archos 5. Does that have 2.2 froyo or can it be rooted to run it?
Another problem I had when listening to music with the 7o was that it would pause all the time for no reason. I wasn't getting any new messages or anything. Is that a known problem? I also couldn't figure out how to usb tether with my touch pro2. Is it possible? I had pdanet installed but no luck.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Would a FiiO E5 help? I'm starting to like the Archos 5. Does that have 2.2 froyo or can it be rooted to run it?
Another problem I had when listening to music with the 7o was that it would pause all the time for no reason. I wasn't getting any new messages or anything. Is that a known problem? I also couldn't figure out how to usb tether with my touch pro2. Is it possible? I had pdanet installed but no luck.

The FiiO E5 is exactly what I meant by an inline Amp. The one problem with the Archos 5/Archos 48 series is the limitation of only at Android 1.6 (Donut) This is only a limitation if you really love your Flash. It can do Flash up to V9, but not Flash 10. Tethering is an issue for the A5 series, it is easier to use a 3G/WAP than attempt tethering.

The problem with pausing in your music was a firmware bug which was fixed unless you had a Hardware problem.