APAD w/ Android 2.1 Telechips TCC8902 (Pandawill G10, Wiipad Slim Plus, Haipad M701)

ascottk

Sep 7, 2010
I'm on Win7.

Well, this might work (forces the usb booting when the boot rom is missing, or so I understand). BUT this totally freaked me out because I thought I bricked my device:
Code:
adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd0
adb reboot

Doing this forced me to do get the thing working. I would not recommend this due to the flaky nature of the fwdn tool.

vdonatiello

Jun 17, 2010
This IS China we're talking about :) Land of the electronic "Knockoffs" :)

As far as I know, Haipad is the manufacturer and they will build the device to whatever spec you require and the cost will be according to spec BUT basically all these MID's are based on the M701 Model but they will come with different screens, battery's internal memory and even RAM.

To be honest you really don't know what you're getting, so it's best to buy from reputable re-sellers like merimobiles or Pandawill who provide support for their products. I have only heard good things about these companies and I personally purchased from Pandawill and had a great experience and received a quality product.

You need to think what you're going to be using the device for and how much power you need. Right now, in my opinion the GPad G10 is one of the best out there for the price.

i will try to contact these ...

• where is located Merimobile?
  • is Pandawill located in China? is because of the great firewall, it is several days i am trying to watch them but the website is always OFF ... do you have any email i could try to contact them?

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
I was finally able to get FDWN to flash #370 under Windows 7 32-bit. With the #370 build the touch screen is much, much more responsive. Using the steps below I also had no problems with the market after the flash. Thanks to ascottk for figuring out the USB file System trick to get FWDN going. Here's the rest of my process/tips:

#1) Download the #370 rom from http://u.115.com/file/t48c2da3a5.
#2) Extract the M701.rar rom and navigate inside until you find the folder labeled "Android烧录工具". This is the FWDN folder. Rename it to "FWDN" and move it to the root of a drive (I used "e:\FDWN\"). Right click the "FWDN.exe" file and select "properties", and then go to the "compatibility" tab. Set it to run with administrator privileges.
#3) Inside the FWDN folder is another called "vtcdrv". Run the file inside called "VTC Driver Installer v5.00 for 2000_XP.exe" to install the drivers for your tablet. Do not run the uninstaller.
#4) Capture your Mac address before flashing (I got mine from my router). In the "Tools\Options\Target" menu of FWDN, select the "WiFi Mac Address" option and set the OUI field to 0x and the first half of your Mac, NIC to 0x and the second half. For example if your mac address is 20:59:A0:03:14:68, the OUI value is 0x2059A0 and the NIC value is 0x031468. Check the do not auto-increment option and make sure everything else on the Target tab is unchecked.
#5) Add the files you want to flash to the default tab in FWDN (you should have a .rom, .img & .fai file). Select `DEBUG-LEVEL Format before download` from the drop-down in the bottom right corner of the Default tab.
#6) Power down your device.
#7) Attach the device to the usb cable and plug it into your computer (device is still turned off at this point). I used a USB cable with no fuses (this likely made no difference).
#8) Press and hold the menu button and turn the power switch to "on". It should halt at the boot screen, if you see the green android icon you were not fast enough. Toggle power off and start over at step 5.
#9) FWDN at this point should come up with a probing window. Mine was completely white with no details inside it (this means it is not working). At this point on advice from ascottk, I attached my HTC windows Mobile phone to my computer in Disk Usage Mode (not Active Sync - that did not work). ascottk used a camera, which I also tried but that did not work for me. You can also use a plain flash drive to jump start this step.
#10) The Area Map section of FDWN should now show a partition listed as NAND Data. Click on that area in FWDN to open the Image Creation Dialog. Select your "NAND Data.fai" file again (same one you added earlier, and name the image NAND Data. You can leave the image type as fat. Select the Create Image file at the bottom of the screen. Click OK when prompted and you should be back to the main FWDN screen (default tab).
#11) Click the Start button in FWDN. At this point I got the empty white screen again. I ejected my phone and remounted it and the flash process started automatically. Once the flash is complete (box in FWDN turns green), toggle your power switch off, then on, and press the center button to restart the device.

Optional Notes:
a) you can root the device using the package from here (Created by Asure for the HSG (X5A/X6) & Pandawill G11, but works for us as well)

Last edited:

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
Can any kind soul list down the advantage of upgrading to #370?

Sent from my M701 using Tapatalk

Deathschyte

Sep 8, 2010
I was finally able to get FDWN to flash #370 under Windows 7 32-bit. With the #370 build the touch screen is much, much more responsive. Using the steps below I also had no problems with the market after the flash. Thanks to ascottk for figuring out the USB file System trick to get FWDN going. Here's the rest of my process/tips:

#01) Download the #370 rom from http://u.115.com/file/t48c2da3a5.
#02) Extract the M701.rar rom and navigate inside until you find the folder labeled "Android烧录工具". This is the FWDN folder. Rename it to "FWDN" and move it to the root of a drive (I used "e:\FDWN\"). Right click the "FWDN.exe" file and select "properties", and then go to the "compatibility" tab. Set it to run under Windows XP SP2 compatibility and to run with administrator privileges.
#03) Inside the FWDN folder is another called "vtcdrv". Run the file inside called "VTC Driver Installer v5.00 for 2000_XP.exe" to install the drivers for your tablet. Do not run the uninstaller.
#04) Capture your Mac address before flashing (I got mine from my router). In the "Tools\Options\Target" menu of FWDN, select the "WiFi Mac Address" option and set the OUI field to 0x and the first half of your Mac, NIC to 0x and the second half. For example if your mac address is 20:59:A0:03:14:68, the OUI value is 0x2059A0 and the NIC value is 0x031468. Make sure everything else on the Target tab is unchecked.Add the files you want to flash to the default tab in FWDN (you should have a .rom, .img & .fai file). Select `DEBUG-LEVEL Format before download` from the drop-down in the bottom right corner of the Default tab.
#05) Power down your device.
#06) Attach the device to the usb cable and plug it into your computer (device is still turned off at this point). I used a USB cable with no fuses (this likely made no difference).
#07) Turn the power switch to on
#08) Press the button on the front of the device once to initiate a boot. Immediately press the same button and menu button at the same time before the green android icon comes up. If you see the green android icon you were not fast enough. Toggle power off and start over at step 5.
#09) FWDN at this point should come up with a probing window. Mine was completely white with no details inside it (this means it is not working). At this point on advice from ascottk, I attached my HTC windows Mobile phone to my computer in Disk Usage Mode (not Active Sync - that did not work). ascottk used a camera, which I also tried but that did not work for me. You could probably use a plain flash drive to jump start this step.
#10) The Area Map section of FDWN should now show a partition listed as NAND Data. Click on that area in FWDN to open the Image Creation Dialog. Select your NAND Data.fai file again (same one you added earlier, and name the image NAND Data. You can leave the image type as fat. Select the Create Image file at the bottom of the screen. Click OK when prompted and you should be back to the main FWDN screen (default tab).
#11) Click the Start button in FWDN. At this point I got the empty white screen again. I ejected my phone and remounted it and the flash process started automatically. Once the flash is complete (box in FWDN turns green), toggle your power switch off, then on, and press the center button to restart the device.

Optional Notes:
a) you can root the device using the package from here (Created for the HSG (X5A/X6) & Pandawill G11, but works for us as well)

Hi, i'm newbie here...

since i use M701 as well...
i kinda want to try codf4therq's to flashing my haipad's firmware to 370...

it just i can't download the M701.rar rom :(
is there any other link to the file...?...

thanks before...

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
Hi, i'm newbie here...

since i use M701 as well...
i kinda want to try codf4therq's to flashing my haipad's firmware to 370...

it just i can't download the M701.rar rom :(
is there any other link to the file...?...

thanks before...

There are lots of other links to that rom in this thread. Look on Page 8.

Admins: is there any way to get the first post updated with some of the information in this thread? I would be good to get the flash process and the download links consolidated for people. I tried to start a new thread today but I don't have permissions.

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
Can any kind soul list down the advantage of upgrading to #370?

Sent from my M701 using Tapatalk

It's more responsive and has support for 3G external modems according to the manufacturer. I can't think of anything else. There are a couple of new Chinese apps, based on the icons they appear to be market apps, but not being able to read Chinese made these basically useless,

Deathschyte

Sep 8, 2010
There are lots of other links to that rom in this thread. Look on Page 8.

Admins: is there any way to get the first post updated with some of the information in this thread? I would be good to get the flash process and the download links consolidated for people. I tried to start a new thread today but I don't have permissions.

thanks codf4therq...:)

i do try that one too...but still no luck...
either my browsers sucks ( 'been trying on 3 different browser )...or my internet connection screw up...:mad:

would you mind upload the on firmware on MU or RS ( since RS link on the page 8 is dead ) again codf4therq...?

that's gonna be a very great help for me...:)

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
I don't have MU or RS accounts to upload the rom. I linked to the 115.com site as thats the official download source from Hiapad. I just double checked the link and its working here. Run the URL through Google's translate functionality if you are having issues reading the site.

http://u.115.com/file/t48c2da3a5

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
It's more responsive and has support for 3G external modems according to the manufacturer. I can't think of anything else. There are a couple of new Chinese apps, based on the icons they appear to be market apps, but not being able to read Chinese made these basically useless,

Can these application be uninstalled? Thanks!