APAD w/ Android 2.1 Telechips TCC8902 (Pandawill G10, Wiipad Slim Plus, Haipad M701)

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
crap, I was going to flash 370 to my m701 but now you've got me scared. Did anyone else have the same bad experience with 370? I still haven't figured out how to tell what rom came on mine out of the box, if anyone can help please let me know

nandotorres

Aug 17, 2010
superb.
Tell me how long battery works, is the screen truly multitouch and how is responding, how fast is it and write some overall feelings. What do You like/dislike in it.

True multi touch, i dont think so, itll only recognise one key at a time, but it does allow pinch zoom etc

Battery lasts me 3-4 hours, but i mainly use for media nad games so pretty good imo.
It does have a funcion t tell you whats been using the battery eg..wifi 39% so turning off something youre not using will increase battery life :)

Overall i love it, ive only run into 1 problem and thats the Android Market has stopped working, it says downloading but nothing actually happens, i know my wifi is working as i can download from the EOC market(useless to me as i read no asian language :p ) and use the internet.

Very responsive, especially the G Sensor, works great in games.

Tell me something do you have problems with knocking the small power on/off button on the side which causes Apad to go off unexpectively? I had that issue on the rcokchip model.

The on/off button puts the unit to sleep, another quick tap will wake it back up, can be annoying but ive gotten used to it, hold it down for options like shut down :)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Not sure if this is just a mistake in the listing, but this might be available and shipping in the Apad's metallic shell too now:

(Taobao)

helfrez

Aug 16, 2010
For anyone interested, here is the cleaned up keylayout that works for me with the proper mappings. My MID701 came with Back, Menu, and Sleep. I have been unable to get the front button to do anything other than sleep, seems hardwired, but I remapped my keys to Menu, Home, Sleep. It can be a pain to not have "Back", but not as much as not having Home lol.

/system/usr/keylayout/telechips_keypad.kl

key 158 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
key 139 HOME WAKE_DROPPED
key 116 POWER WAKE

ywk69

Aug 18, 2010
I have the black version, which the vendor told me has 4G RAM. The white and silver versions have only 2G RAM. The metallic shell version is new to me.

helfrez

Aug 16, 2010
I have the black version, which the vendor told me has 4G RAM. The white and silver versions have only 2G RAM. The metallic shell version is new to me.

It really all depends on which revision you have. I have a silver version with 4GB.

ywk69

Aug 18, 2010
crap, I was going to flash 370 to my m701 but now you've got me scared. Did anyone else have the same bad experience with 370? I still haven't figured out how to tell what rom came on mine out of the box, if anyone can help please let me know

Ok, 2-point multi-touch seems to be working now but Android Market is still stuck when downloading.

amplogik

Aug 26, 2010
Ok, 2-point multi-touch seems to be working now but Android Market is still stuck when downloading.

Hmm... I'm still using 330, and the back vs home button thing doesn't bug me, but having to rebuild the android market settings with adb sounds like a pain. You might need to do so. There are a number of site detailing how to fix the stalling android market app using 'adb' - part of the android development environment.

In short, you'll need to download the android SDK, install the android USB driver if prompted, then use adb to remove the android market app, then reinstall the android market app using adb.

A friend had to do that on his samsung after an upgrade, and it fixed the market app. He basically followed the instructions here:

Fix Market For Slates - Wiki

As for me, I think I'll wait before upgrading to 370 for a bit, until I'm a bit more comfortable with the process.

Speaking of which... How the heck do you make a backup/dump of the current firmware in case you want to roll back after an update?

Also, anyone have experience rolling custom firmware?

amplogik

Aug 26, 2010
Ok, I'm having some problems updating the firmware, the manual is incomprehensible in english, and I'm hoping someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have the drivers installed fine, and FWDN detects my pad when I plug it in and boot into flash mode, but then everything hangs.

This is what I'm doing:

1) Start With the M701 disconnected from the PC
2) Launch FDWN.
3) add the lkhania.rom to the file path list in FDWN
4) add the tcc8900_mtd_haina.img to the file path list in FDWN
5) add the NAND Data.fai file to the file path in FDWN
6) slide power switch off then on
7) hold down menu button, and while doing that, attach the pad to the computer with usb cable.

At this point, the device begins to boot, FDWN window comes up and says:

UBS(USB Boot Supporter) Load Complete! - (0sec 01)
BOOT Load Complete! - (1sec 09)

The pad powers on, the splash screen shows, then the message window in FDWN closes, and nothing else happens.

The Area Map doesn't light up, no options become available, everything just stops.

What am I doing wrong?

I've tried everything I can think of for 3 different firmware releases, and it's always the same result.

I know I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out from the manuals. They are very badly translated in English, and impossible to follow. Can anyone give me a step by step or see what I'm doing wrong?

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
For anyone interested, here is the cleaned up keylayout that works for me with the proper mappings. My MID701 came with Back, Menu, and Sleep. I have been unable to get the front button to do anything other than sleep, seems hardwired, but I remapped my keys to Menu, Home, Sleep. It can be a pain to not have "Back", but not as much as not having Home lol.

/system/usr/keylayout/telechips_keypad.kl

key 158 MENU WAKE_DROPPED
key 139 HOME WAKE_DROPPED
key 116 POWER WAKE

The projects that run Android on Windows Mobile phones have come up with a way to do keymapping based on duration of the key-press. Ideally we'd be able to map a quick press of the center button to home and a long press to sleep.

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
I don't own an Andoid tablet but may be this helps you to identify your rom version

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...d-system-info-display-device-information.html

Nice app. Under "Build Infos" it shows me field called "Display" with the following: "telechips_tcc8900_cn-eng 2.1-update1 ECLAIR eng-root.20100717.070414 test-keys". thats the only thing that look like a build identifier of any kind.

Under Settings\About Device\Kernel version I see the following: "2.6.29 root@localhost #331"

I'm assuming I have the rom labeled 330 above

apad.king

Aug 20, 2010
Hey thanks a lot. That solved the U tube problem. As yet I haven't experienced the shut down problem, but that may be due to the usb connection I am using to power the unit.
I still haven't heard from the company I made the purchase from "WiiPad.us" or "Wiipad Technonogy International Limited" I am concerned about this as I paid thru paypal and may have a hard time getting any resolution to the problem if they never respond. I'll give them another day and see what happens.

No problem I scratched my head on that issue for a while. Glad you solved your U Tube issue.:) Some people have found some mobile phone chargers work but check the voltage is OK first. I haven't got the same model as you, mine is the G11 or X5A with HDMI port but find someone with same model and check what the power supply has written on it.

koppit

Apr 26, 2010
Just have to chyme in on this conversation - I got my demo unit and needed to flash it, so here's the procedure I used successfully.

This is what I'm doing (updated)

0) Make sure you have your device ac adapter plugged in at all times.

1) Start With the M701 disconnected from the PC
2) Run VTC Driver Installer v5.00 for 2000_XP.EXE, complete the installation.
3) Copy FWDN_V7_CFG.ini to WINDOWS folder (note: it will add the following to the drop-down selection menu - "DEBUG-LEVEL format before download" and "DEBUG-LEVEL format & verification before download".)
4) Run FWDN_V7_v2.09.exe, choose the "DEBUG-LEVEL format & verification before download" option.
5) add the lkhania.rom to the file path list in FWDN
6) add the tcc8900_mtd_haina.img (or tcc8900_mtd.img) to the file path list in FWDN
7) add the NAND Data.fai to the file path list in FWDN
7) set the following in tools, options: In the "OUI" field enter 0x2059A0, "NIC" field enter 0x031468. Make sure you only check "insert wifi mac address".
8) slide power switch off then on
9) hold down the power and menu (home) button, and while doing that, attach the pad to the computer with usb cable (in the usb port closest to the microsd port). It will stay at the HAIPAD screen, and begin loading the files.
10) You can stop holding the buttons, then click NAND Data in the area map
11) Name the partition, choose the same NAND data file (it will ask you if you want to replace it, yes you do) and click create image. It will utilize ALL the free space in your device for a disk partition.
12) click start in FWDN. Wait until it completes, the window will go green. Slide off and on, then turn it on.

Now you get to go through setup in chinese, hope you remember the buttons to press! Calibrate the screen, and go find setup. Fifth from the bottom is language options [A]. First option is set locale. Choose your preferred language.

Hope this helps.

Brendan
androidtablets.ca

Last edited:

amplogik

Aug 26, 2010
Thank you so much Brendan. I can see that I was missing copying the ini to the windows folder, and a couple of other steps. I'll try this tonight. You rock! :)