APAD w/ Android 2.1 Telechips TCC8902 (Pandawill G10, Wiipad Slim Plus, Haipad M701)

Jay_

Aug 30, 2010
Ok, now this is puzzling my mind.

Manual lists full HDMI-OUT capability, including (software, not hardware) screenshots:
http://www.androidtime.com/download/HaiPad_MID_M701EN.pdf

But on the same website that sells the the product and translated the manual into English, the product specs don't mention HDMI even once:

http://www.androidtime.com/shop/17-...d-tablet-g-sensor-latest-slim-hipad-m701.html

I have been following the thread and I know there's a new model out that is supposed to support HDMI etc, but when I look at the casing pictures, ads, manuals etc, I still cannot fully connect the dots.

I know there's a metal case one that has an HDMI port but in the androidtime forums that one is listed as A03 model, while the manual which mentions HDMI out is for the A02 model.

david38002

Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for the info.
I have found a charger . Got it from a company on the west coast. and had to have the plug changed.. I'm out a few bucks for all this so the chase is on to see if I can get the supplier to pay....very doubtfull......
Another interesting development, I can no longer download from the Androin Market with this device. Worked for a couple days then nothing. Just goes the the download screen and hangs.
I am finding that getting out of the browser is a real pain, I have to hit the back button forever or reboot the device.

David Streeter.

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
Ok, now this is puzzling my mind.

Manual lists full HDMI-OUT capability, including (software, not hardware) screenshots:
http://www.androidtime.com/download/HaiPad_MID_M701EN.pdf

But on the same website that sells the the product and translated the manual into English, the product specs don't mention HDMI even once:

android 2.1 Telechips 800mhz 7inch aPad tablet HaiPad MID M701

I have been following the thread and I know there's a new model out that is supposed to support HDMI etc, but when I look at the casing pictures, ads, manuals etc, I still cannot fully connect the dots.

I know there's a metal case one that has an HDMI port but in the androidtime forums that one is listed as A03 model, while the manual which mentions HDMI out is for the A02 model.

You can see HDMI in the settings as well. I'm pretty sure this has HDMI hardware, its just that the first run used leftover aPad casings which didn't have holes for the HDMI cable. If you had a dremel and some good soldering skills this would probably be an easy mod.

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
I am in love with this tablet. Took a few days to get used to the Android OS, but here's what I've learned.

1) Market app works great - no hiccups there.
2) You can modify the power button to go to Main Menu... nice timesaver.
3) YouTube app works great. Videos play well.
4) System will start to bog down (not as snappy) after a while, just need ATK app.
5) First few battery charge/recharge cycles were not very inspiring, but after draining completely then fully charging 3 times - I'm getting 5 hours with WiFi on.

Very impressive device for $185. I bought mine at merimobiles.com - delivered to US in 7 days.

Jay_

Aug 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure this has HDMI hardware, its just that the first run used leftover aPad casings which didn't have holes for the HDMI cable.

Well, then it has incomplete HDMI hardware, since the casing is part of the hardware and it doesn't support it.

So basically it cannot output HD video by any means? Not even by USB? if that was the case, one could hope to get it working with an adapter such as this, but one that works with linux:
GrandTec USB to HDMI Video Converter - GHD-2000, $129.95

Looks like some one in e-bay is about to get a big fat negative qualification from me. :mad:

wentzeric

Aug 18, 2010
Just got my g10, with the hour or so amount of time that I have put into testing the device I have found the following.

• No HOME physical button
  • Processor is slower than a HTC Incredible (duh! to give you an idea: a snes emulator is very chuggy at best)
  • screen is multi-touch but you need to put some pressure on it to let you know your there.
  • of course the camera is very bad but I knew that going in
  • screen is not as sharp or beautiful as your droid or like devices (duh! specs again)
  • YES Market and YOUTUBE works ...
I have not really gone to much farther from there. I will put Skyfire on it later to test the in browser video and I will continue to test out the same app off my phone.

Let me know if any of you have any questions on this device. I plan on keeping it and utilizing it until it breaks or we finally have a great working, cheap, and useful device here in the States.

codf4therq

Aug 27, 2010
I used SpareParts to map the end button (our center button) to Home/Sleep. It works, albeit slowly. You click the center button and about 5-6 seconds later it takes you back to the home screen.

If that doesn't work for you, check out "Smart Taskbar" in the market. It gives you a floating button with a fly-out panel full of links, one of which is the home screen. More details here:

Smart Taskbar – Launch Any App in 2 Steps | xda-developers

david38002

Aug 10, 2010
I am in love with this tablet. Took a few days to get used to the Android OS, but here's what I've learned.

1) Market app works great - no hiccups there.
2) You can modify the power button to go to Main Menu... nice timesaver.
3) YouTube app works great. Videos play well.
4) System will start to bog down (not as snappy) after a while, just need ATK app.
5) First few battery charge/recharge cycles were not very inspiring, but after draining completely then fully charging 3 times - I'm getting 5 hours with WiFi on.

Very impressive device for $185. I bought mine at merimobiles.com - delivered to US in 7 days.

I agree with you it's a great device for the price.
Tell me how you changed the power button function.
That looks like a real timesaver when your in the browser.

Here is a site that has about 1000 aps should you lose the market also.
GetJar - Appsolutely Everything for Nokia, BlackBerry, Android, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, Palm.

Thanks
David Streeter.

cdndave

Aug 29, 2010
Do not follow these instructions unless you want to brick your m701.

Just have to chyme in on this conversation - I got my demo unit and needed to flash it, so here's the procedure I used successfully.

This is what I'm doing (updated)

1) Start With the M701 disconnected from the PC
2) Run VTC Driver Installer v5.00 for 2000_XP.EXE, complete the installation.
3) Copy FWDN_V7_CFG.ini to WINDOWS folder (note: it will add the following to the drop-down selection menu - "DEBUG-LEVEL format before download" and "DEBUG-LEVEL format & verification before download".)
4) Run FWDN_V7_v2.09.exe, choose the "DEBUG-LEVEL format & verification before download" option.
5) add the lkhania.rom to the file path list in FWDN
6) add the tcc8900_mtd_haina.img (or tcc8900_mtd.img) to the file path list in FWDN
7) add the NAND Data.fai to the file path list in FWDN
7) set the following in tools, options: In the "OUI" field enter 0x2059A0, "NIC" field enter 0x031468. Make sure you only check "insert wifi mac address".
8) slide power switch off then on
9) hold down the power and menu (home) button, and while doing that, attach the pad to the computer with usb cable (in the usb port closest to the microsd port). It will stay at the HAIPAD screen, and begin loading the files.
10) You can stop holding the buttons, then click NAND Data in the area map
11) Name the partition, choose the same NAND data file (it will ask you if you want to replace it, yes you do) and click create image. It will utilize ALL the free space in your device for a disk partition.
12) click start in FWDN. Wait until it completes, the window will go green. Slide off and on, then turn it on.

Now you get to go through setup in chinese, hope you remember the buttons to press! Calibrate the screen, and go find setup. Fifth from the bottom is language options [A]. First option is set locale. Choose your preferred language.

Hope this helps.

Brendan
androidtablets.ca

cdndave

Aug 29, 2010
Anyone know where I can find a usable 'NAND data.fai'? I followed Brendan's wonderful instructions and bricked my M701 (step 9 and 10 should be replaced by:
put the power adapter plug into DC socket, turn power switch to ON, long press the button of Power first, then press Menu, and lose your finger when the power-up image appears and becomes stable. Connect the PC data wire to MINI USB slot (beside TF card).

Thanks

Dave

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
spare parts app, end button behavior, set to Go To Home

It may not work right away, cycle power.

A quick button click, then wait a few secs. Home menu will appear!

koppit

Apr 26, 2010
Do not follow these instructions unless you want to brick your m701.

I'm sorry what? This is what I did, I know it worked.. you should never try to flash your device on battery, just like you never flash your bios on battery.. I'm sorry if that wasn't made clear by almost any flashing guide out there :(

jimmcghee

Aug 31, 2010
This must be a dumb question because no one else has asked, but...
Where do I get the files to run on the pc to upgrade my MID701's firmware?
I found the firmware files, but I can't find the upgrade tool mentioned in the manual.
TIA,
Jim

cdndave

Aug 29, 2010
I'm sorry what? This is what I did, I know it worked.. you should never try to flash your device on battery, just like you never flash your bios on battery.. I'm sorry if that wasn't made clear by almost any flashing guide out there :(

Hi koppit

while I appreciate your instructions, you were just trying to help right? Well the instructions are inaccurate and should be amended. I'm not angry with you, this is my fault, I should have been less lazy and relied completely on your instructions.

I did the update with the power supply plugged in.

What I need now is help on restoring my brick...