App to access DLNA server?

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I recently ripped my entire DVD collection to .iso format and they now sit on a 2TB external drive on my network. While that's a great format for watching movies on a PC (viva la VLC Player!), it's not very well supported otherwise.

I have Serviio DLNA server running on my PC and I have a Blu ray player that accesses that just fine. It doesn't see .iso files however. So I'm now in the process of ripping all of those .iso files to .m4v format, which the Blu ray player sees just fine and plays without a hitch.

I'd love to find an app for my tablet that allows me to do the same thing, namely access the DLNA server on my PC and play movies across the network.

MoboPlayer plays local m4v files very nicely but I don't see anywhere in it to access remote files.

Oh, and FREE would be best here :)

Also, I've messed around a bit with the MediaServer app that comes with the A500 and it's pretty nifty for music...not so much for video, at least when going to my wirelessly connected blu ray player. I have a feeling if it were connected to the router via eth0, it'd work better. Music is great but the music players on any of my DLNA capable devices (the blu ray player and the playstation 3) are total crap...mere afterthoughts it seems.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
Found one! Skifta is in beta but it works very nicely so far. Funny though, it lists some movies that I don't have. Confessions of a Shopoholic is actually Dune...don't think there could be two movies more opposite on the spectrum :)

bonzer2u

Jan 29, 2011
Found one! Skifta is in beta but it works very nicely so far. Funny though, it lists some movies that I don't have. Confessions of a Shopoholic is actually Dune...don't think there could be two movies more opposite on the spectrum :)

thanks.....