Apparently Dead

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
Hi
I've been using an Asus MeMO Pad 8 (Me 181 CX) for more than 2 years with no issues, but a couple of weeks ago stopped charging, at least it's what I think is happening.
Yesterday the screen still had some back light, but it doesn't start.
I took to the shop but they said it wasn't worth fixing, even without knowing the problem. He added that any part would have to be imported, etc. etc.

Is there any hope?
This was a gift, so I'm not likely run to by another.

Sincerely
dubeni
(Portugal, EU)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That's assuming that the shop could even get the parts. In any case, the shop is correct. Other versions of the MeMO Pad in your screen size are available on Amazon for as little as 60USD. For the shop to get a replacement motherboard from Asus, which is what would be needed to successfully repair your tablet, would cost much more than that.

Time to start looking into other tablets.

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
Thank you Traveller, for your straight forward answer.

dubeni

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
Well, I've been looking online (Amazon.es) for another tablet, and some of the features I need to operate fully with Sky Safari Pro is gyroscope and compass, but it never shows on specs.
What should I look for?

Bernardo

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
Yes they do, and on other Amazon's also (.fr, .uk, etc.)
But I only found one MeMO with gyroscope and compass, and it wasn't available, so I've looked at a couple of Zen with both.
Differences in prices seem to be related to processors origin and android versions, some don't have Android version on specs.
Looking for differences in specs is not easy, and I don't even look at those that have only general specifications. Small differences on model numbers correspond to totally different prices and a few specs.
I thought it would be easier :D

SkySafari Pro is an app for amateur astronomers that is designed to take full advantage of this sensors to scan and find what you are observing in the sky, among other things like: driving astronomical motorized mounts, etc. I only mentioned this because this is in fact my motivation to get a replacement for my dead MeMO (Jan14-Jan17:oops:). I've no affiliation with SkySafari, I'm just a pleased user :)

Don't worry I will find something

dubeni

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'm not sure if it's available in Portugal, but have you given swappa.com a try yet?

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
Thanks Traveller
I just took a look at Swappa.eu, and apparently europeans don't have the same habits, no tablets listed :eek:, also they don't specify sensors.

thanks anyway :)

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
My memopad 8 just died as well. Pretty poor quality on these tablets.
Yeah! I guess battery failure can be considered poor quality.
Aside from battery I liked all others features, and it worked pretty well. My sadness comes from the fact that it was so well cared it looked new, not a single scratch. My kids tablets with broken screens keep on working, frustating :(

For the moment I'm using my Zen phone, but it's not a replacement, I like the larger screen.

Sorry for your loss.

Kevin McMillan

Apr 25, 2017
Replacing the motherboard is pretty pricey. It would cost you almost 70% of the original tablet price.So i think it's just not worth replacing it. I suggest you buy a new one instead.

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
Yes, that's what I was told at an ASUS computer store, and they don't carry tablets.
and yes, I will get a new one just not now.

thank you anyway Kevin

jiveturkee

Sep 17, 2011
Yes, that's what I was told at an ASUS computer store, and they don't carry tablets.
and yes, I will get a new one just not now.

thank you anyway Kevin

Check out the ZTE Trek 2 HD. I just got one (unlocked)on EBay brand new. It is cheaper than my Memopad and alot better and faster.
Plus, it can be used as a phone. Not really something I needed but I put in a Freedompop sim and it works lol!!!

dubeni

Feb 3, 2017
Thank you jiveturkee for the tip
I have a ZTE Blade A512 unlocked phone and I like it very much.
For now that's what I'll be using :cool:
I still want a tablet with compass and gyro, but I'm not in a rush.