Apple Fanboy new to Android OS. Need some help!

Ashman1987

Oct 16, 2012
Not really a fanboy as such, just struggling to find a unique title for the thread!

Although for years I have purchased everything Apple,

Have now purchased 4 iphones, 2 ipods, and 3 ipod touches and have recently been looking to bag myself an iPad.

However after scouring the various tablet recommendations online, I stumbled across the Momo Ployer 11 Extreme.
I have never heard of Momo Ployer but after researching the products seemed good and the prices untouchable.

Also found a couple of video reviews and looked impressive, just as good as the iPad.
I was teetering on the fence so to speak, but decided to take the plunge and have just ordered my first Android device!
Cant wait to have a play with the OS and experience the Android way of life.

I am very well educated with iOS and can easily jailbreak, upgrade, downgrade, create my own firmwares etc, and now stepping out into Android World I have to learn everything all over again.

Immediate questions:

My tablet will be delivered with stock 4.1 JB, is it worth looking for a custom rom? Where would I find the latest custom roms online?
Where can I find 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party launchers or any other 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party tweak?

Also with iphone nearly all tweaks will work on all devices as the hardware and operating system is almost identical across all the platforms.
How does this compare with Android? Are the tweaks based on OS, phone model or both?

Thanks guys!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Ashman, congrats and welcome.

I would recommend starting with stock Android and getting use to that first, otherwise how will you kno what differences customs ROMs and tweaks make? Besides Andorid is a lot more open than iOS so you may find you can do everything you want without having to go beyond stock. Third party launchers and many of of the "tweaks" are available right in the various stores (Play Store, Amazon etc.). Just try searching the Play Store for what you want first and if what you want is there.

Android is definitely different in that all of its hardware is different and the OS can be different too since may manufacturers tweak Android to their preference and may full on skin it to something unrecognizable as Android (Kindle Fire and Nook tablets). Any custom ROMs or tweaks you do eventually make will need to be specific to your device. That is you cannot use a custom ROM for another device to flash on yours.

JP