Apps and Permissions

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Apps' started by karbar32, Jul 25, 2012.

1. karbar32

karbar32 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer A500
    A disturbing observation...
    As a new tablet owner (Acer 500), I was taken back by a rundown of permissions for-of all things, an antivirus program (AVG Antivirus Free).

Yikes!

An update for itstates that it can access the camera on the tablet. Now why would an app need to be able to turn on the camera-and access the microphone, anytime someone wanted to? Goes without saying, but I don't want some Orwellian Big Brother surreptitiously watching me, knowing where I am, or what I'm doing.

Is there anyway to block what an app can do, or do you simply pass on installing it?

2. Spider

Spider Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted/Flashed Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB Stock
    AFAIK you either agree to the permissions requested or pass on installing it. FWIW I've had AVG installed on my tablet for over a year now with no apparent ill effects. My reasoning is: If you want it to thoroughly scan your tablet, it has to have permission to access everything on the tablet. If you don't subscribe to that philosophy, don't install it. That list is pretty daunting isn't it?:rolleyes:

3. karbar32

karbar32 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer A500
    Yeah. And scanning thru other apps' permissions they seem equally daunting. Even a radio tuner app for a phone & tablet wants access to phone's number and serial number. There's just some info that I don't think needs to be provided.

4. Frederuco

Frederuco Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    ASUS TF101
    There are some apps that you can revoke permissions on apps, but you MUST be rooted in order to run them.

I think one of them is called Permission Denied