Apps cannot connect to camera

TEWoerner

Jan 12, 2012
Camera is no longer functional on 7 month old A500. Tapping camera icon starts the loading but then the error message that he device connection cannot be made. Performed a software reset with no success. Customer service (first try) sent me a copy of the Users Manual. :(

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Go to settings/applications/manage applications/all/camera and delete data, restart the tab and see if it takes care of the issue.

Sent From Rob's DarkSided ATRIX.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You can also try another app that uses the Camera from Market to see if it's an issue with the built-in camera software or not...

mstrmstr

Dec 2, 2011
Hi, Depending on the manufacturer you can ask for the .apk file for your unit or as suggested above just find a better and more useful .apk from almost any android market. It's usually just a matter of corrupt or missing info on the original file and not much trouble to replace. Just a note, you can press and hold the old icon for action window for choices on the app installed. you may get lucky and find "reinstall" or "activate" in the list.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've seen this error message on 3 different android devices. Its always software related, and it has never required a factory reset.
Most of the time clearing data for an application as RobKort mentions does the trick. Often just powering down will do it.

You can go thur your apps that are running, and anything that even looks like its camera related needs to be Force Closed, then Clear data. This includes the camer, and any app you use that can talk to the camera.

CanuckinPA

Mar 31, 2012
Go to settings/applications/manage applications/all/camera and delete data, restart the tab and see if it takes care of the issue.

Sent From Rob's DarkSided ATRIX.

I've installed Skype on my new A500. When I video call my wife, she gets audio but a green screen for video. I can see the front camera is working since I see my image in the Skype app, but when I clicked on the video icon I was not able to select the front camera.

I checked the data per your instruction, but all were at zero! I uninstalled and reinstalled Skype and now I keep getting a FC issue. :mad:

Any help on this is appreciated.

nivram

Feb 2, 2012
Camera is no longer functional on 7 month old A500. Tapping camera icon starts the loading but then the error message that he device connection cannot be made. Performed a software reset with no success. Customer service (first try) sent me a copy of the Users Manual. :(

Just had the same issue, if still fails after reset it's a hardware problem, mine went back to Acer and they installed a new rear camera and ribbon cable. Not impressed given it's only 4 months old I see a few people have had the same issue. Customer service desk are useless really they offered little to know help and really had no idea, apart from try a hard reset :(

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I've installed Skype on my new A500. When I video call my wife, she gets audio but a green screen for video. I can see the front camera is working since I see my image in the Skype app, but when I clicked on the video icon I was not able to select the front camera.

I checked the data per your instruction, but all were at zero! I uninstalled and reinstalled Skype and now I keep getting a FC issue. :mad:

Any help on this is appreciated.

Take the A500 back to where you bought it from and get them to swap it from a new one. Your unit has a hardware problem which is not the same as discussed in this thread. There is another thread about your problem and ACER has replaced the units.