Apps for Acer Inconia 500

amara20

Aug 27, 2011
Hello Everyone :)

I have a few questions :confused:

I am waiting on my Acer to come to me in the mail and I am so EXCITED!!

I know Android very well as I have the EVO phone, and have been using Android for about 3 years. Just wanted to know can anyone recommend some good apps that work correctly on the Acer Inconia 500. I like note taking apps, photography apps, some game apps, calendar apps?

Also, can I put my apk file apps on here if I have some already?

Thanks, Ki

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well it gets apps from the market so anything you are used to will probably work on it.

Calendar: Pick any one of 100 or use the stock one. The point here is sync with google Calendar and your evo and acer will be in Sync.
Writing and note taking: Maybe one of the office suites, or just a note app, depending on the complexity and volume, and this is where the tablet really shines over the evo.

Games, get any you like from the market. They all tell you whether they are compatible with your tablet once you sign into the market with the acer.

If you have .apk files you can side-load them. I don't advise this unless you can't download from the market. The market will at least insure you get the proper version. Remember, any app you purchased in the market can be installed on several devices so you don't have to try sideloading stuff and its not the best idea anyway.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Oh, forgot to mention.

Get a filemanager. It should be the first app you install.

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Oh, forgot to mention.

Get a filemanager. It should be the first app you install.
My first post here. I agree with the above. I just got my A500. Coming from 25 years of PC and Blackberry, Android is a new experience for me. I downloaded Astro, but the whole system seems "wierd" to me. I guess I'd like something closer to Windows Explorer. Any suggestions?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
And another thing...
Folks looking for a great Calendar App that has a nice Widget view should look into Jorte.

There are many widget sizes, and options and the one I like is sort of big, but looks great when you select options to separate the cells (dates) and use rounded corners and turn on transparency for empty cells.

When you tap the widget, of course it becomes a full calendar as shown in the Jorte page in the Market, which is highly customize-able.

device.png

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My first post here. I agree with the above. I just got my A500. Coming from 25 years of PC and Blackberry, Android is a new experience for me. I downloaded Astro, but the whole system seems "wierd" to me. I guess I'd like something closer to Windows Explorer. Any suggestions?

If You like windows explorer then This is the Tablet for you: HP Small & Medium Business - Refurbished Business Products
It looks like windows because it is windows. (7). :p (I have one of those too, and its really petty good).

But you won't find a file manager in Andorid that looks that way exactly, due to the various screen sizes making it impractical.
Try File Manager HD. Its pretty close.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm.hd&feature=search_result

drozas

May 1, 2011
Yeah I use file manager HD. Its essential if you care to use an external SD card. At least until 3.2 update.

Sent from my A500

amara20

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks for all the responses. If there are any other suggestions or important things please feel free to post :)

Chasmanian

Aug 23, 2011
there's also a lock screen calendar app, conveniently called lock screen calendar. :) also, scrollable news widget. it takes a little to set up, but it's a great news aggregator. enjoy!

Miatapa

Aug 19, 2011
You'll get used to it -- I felt the same way but am getting more comfortable with it.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

amara20

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks everyone. I'm an Android junkie so I should be fine. Just was looking for some app suggestion. You guys rock :)

alose

Aug 29, 2011
I have found Evernote to be a pretty nice note taking app, and it comes with a couple of widgets.

I personally prefer Ghost Commander for a file manager. Those that used Norton Commander or Midnight Commander will greatly appreciate the interface, or those that like FTP. It shows two views of the file system so you can copy files easily from one spot to another.

Aug 8, 2010
IF you're gonna root the tablet, I would say that a couple of "musts" are Root Explorer, Drive Moount (for mounting external drives), and Titanium Backup. I would also recommend Dropbox, for sharing files between your PC, tablet, and Evo. If you plan on streaming any media from your PC to your tablet, I would recommend BubbleUPnP along with Mobo video player. Those are just some of my favorites that are on my Iconia.