Apps from Amazon

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
A friend of mine rooted my nook and I am trying to download the free app of the day from amazon. Install blocked - for your security your phone (which is my color nook) is set to block applications not obtained from Android Market.
What do I need to do? Thanks

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
My issue is I cannot find the settings to do this. Help !!!

After looking in to this it looks like it has something to do with an update. Since I have just had my nook rooted I do not have a backup of any kind. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do.

Last edited:

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
If you would like everything done for you, you may have come to the wrong site.

Alternately, you might want to have your"friend" restore your Nook to original and then YOU read, read, read, this forum until you're educated enough to do things yourself. The free instructions are all here in this forum from Root, to Recovery, to custom ROM, it's all easily done with just a little knowledge.

Alternate plan 2: Restore your Nook to original, buy a conversion card, or make your own (the instructions can be found in this forum here: http://bit.ly/nlro7k ), and have dual boot capability, thus keeping your Nook in original marketable condition. You can buy a card here n2a | Turning your Nook Color into a Full Android Tablet (the easy way) There may be others as well, I do not know.

Alternate plan 3: Sell your Nook and buy an IPad.

Good Luck

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
If you would like everything done for you, you may have come to the wrong site.

Alternately, you might want to have your"friend" restore your Nook to original and then YOU read, read, read, this forum until you're educated enough to do things yourself. Root, Recovery,ROM, it's all easily done with just a little knowledge.

Alternate plan 2: Restore your Nook to original, buy a conversion card, or make your own, and have dual boot capability, thus keeping your Nook in original marketable condition. You can buy a card here n2a | Turning your Nook Color into a Full Android Tablet (the easy way) There may be others as well, I do not know.

Alternate plan 3: Sell your Nook and buy an IdiotPad.

Good Luck

How is this possibly helpful to the poster?

Klippy, I am assuming that you rooted the stock ROM. If you really want the full flexibility of Android you should change to CM7. If you don't want to lose the stock ROM, you can always create a SD card with CM7 on it. There are a ton of postes that tell you how to do this.

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
I am really sorry to have made 1hen2ducks so mad. Please feel free to just not comment on any question that I have. What you posted was mean and spiteful.
I have been reading online, in fact on this board about there being a problem with the market since an update. I believe that is my issue with my nook based on what I am reading. Is there a fix out there yet?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Klippy, I don't think (and certainly hope, ahem ahem) that the intent is not to be spiteful in any of these posts. Generally speaking more information or stating the situation more clearly will help us help you. Each post so far has offered solutions from enabling non-market apps to creating a bootable SD card to buying a bootable SD card.

Searching and reading is a good place to start. If there is still something you are not getting, stating as much information as possible and asking some questions will get you going again. Sometimes it takes a little patience on both sides to get things worked out.

JP

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
Here is what I have done. I went to setting so that I could go to applications and look for the box to check to allow downloads from 3rd party stores. The box is not there for me to check. Maybe I am not going to the correct settings/applications. I know I am running Market 3.1.5. I really am not trying to have everything done for me - I am just trying to figure out where to go. When I go into The Market and look for Facebook for Android there is not an app for that. I have added the app LCD resolution and it says that my current system density is 160. I have also gone in and cleared all the data from the market. I honestly appreciate any help anyone can give me

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
To allow non-market apps you actaully have to go to your Apps drawer and find NookColor Tools. Then check the "Allow Non-Market Apps" box. If it is already checked, uncheck it and recheck it. That should help with downloading the Amazon App Market. Getting the Android Market to work will take some other steps but let's do one thing at a time.

JP

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
I try to assist where I can but I lack knowledge of most stock rooted software. My suggestion for application settings was from memory. Most of my time is spent with cm7. In defense of others here in the forum, everyone goes through a learning curve with any new device. Some pick things up faster than others. Any comments you might see as mean or hurtful should be taken with this in mind.
I am willing to help whenever I can but I believe others here might be better able to assist you with your issues. I can usually be found on the cyanogen or xda forums if anyone has a question for me. Until then, good luck in your endevore and my best to all.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
I have pulled up Nook color tools (version 0.2 if that matters). It gives me the application info. Force stop and uninstall are at the top. Then it has a storage tab - total application and data are listed below that. Then there is a clear data and a move to Sd card Cache is under that. I cannot find anything that will let me download apps from any where else.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That doesn't sound right. I'm looking at a slightly older version (B&N 1.0.1 thanks to bootable SD ;) for my CM7) but I beilve it should be the same on the newer versions of rooted Nooks. So let's make sure we understand what you are working with since often terms like rooted and dual boot are thrown around abiguosly.

Are you using a version of B&N software? If so which version <1.2, 1.2 or 1.3?

How did you root it, autonooter or manualnooter?

If you are not using a version of B&N are you booting from internal memory or from an SD card?

Do you know which ROM you are using, CM7, UD, Phiremod?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Welcome to the forum. I apologize for the rudeness you've received. When you open your app drawer and tap on Settings and then Applications, you don't see this? (Click on it to make it larger)

$androidsettings.png

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
I am working on B&N 1.3. Okay Manual Nooter 4.6.16 I am not booting from a SD card - does that give you some more info. I really want to get this Nook fixed right if someone is willing to help me. I am sorry I do not know any more than I do but I am trying.