Apps used for destructive purposes....

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
I am rather new to this forum and the Android operating system...I have a Coby Kyros MID7127 running Android 2.3.3. I'm a longtime Windows user on several PCs over the years (Win 98, XP, and 7).

I've been wondering how easy or difficult it is for hackers to use applications as back doors or hacking tools to get inside tablet PCs. It seems everyone has an app out there...many are well known, free, and commonly downloaded. But there are gazillions of other apps published by various unknown, to me at least, sources. People seem willing to try out apps, often without proper caution or care as to what damage they might do to one's device. It's also unsettling to not have any selective accept/deny rights when an app asks for several permissions before one allows the installation.

I'm VERY careful with my Windows PCs, but somehow I don't sense the same degree of wariness with people using Android tablets. So, my questions are....

--Can hackers use Android apps to perpetuate viruses and other destructive things, much as has been done on Windows PCs?
--Has anyone encountered an Android app that has done something bad to the operating system or caused other damage which was hard or impossible to repair?
--Has anyone's tablet been infected with a virus that has taken partial control of it or transmitted data out to unknown recipients?
--Are newer versions of Android more resistant to malware than older versions?

I'm hoping the Android operating system has more resistance to general outsider hacking than Windows has demonstrated over time. But I'm not sure at this point.

What is your experience with this?

Roy

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Search the forum this has been covered many times before. The answer is yes, but more easily to the ones who use warez and sideload apps.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
If you side load apps make sure it is from a trusted source of course getjar, apktop, etc. You are pretty much fine from market apps though because it is monitored by google. Appslib however I have seen many sketchy apps I am surprised coby included that market on their earlier tablets

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
If you side load apps make sure it is from a trusted source of course getjar, apktop, etc. You are pretty much fine from market apps though because it is monitored by google. Appslib however I have seen many sketchy apps I am surprised coby included that market on their earlier tablets

Many of the apps directly from Market had malware. Read reviews. Do not assume that just because if is in market it is OK...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk