Archos 101 Internet Tablet PC

blocks_off

Feb 4, 2012
Hi All,

First post!

Looking to buy a tablet - nothing too expensive and keep coming back to this one.

Some questions before I buy if I may?

Assume this is a G8 as its runs 2.2?
I really just need this for browsing & email. Possibly some movie streaming at some point from some online DVD rental companies - and to play into TV which should be ok as there is a mini HDMI port on it?
Have read before about flash support, but assume that's not a problem now as I can play e.g. youtube vids on my android 2.2 phone?
Only other things are possibly BBC iPLayer - is there an app for that? Is this the same app for BBC radio 4's listen again?
OK, lastly i see it's a standard USB port so adding a USB keyboard is ok?
Not too bothered about storage - 8GB should be fine. Happy to use micro SD if needed.

Hopefully not too many questions,

Any help appreciated

Thanks Carl

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK,
Here goes
1. THere are two 101s from Archos now. The older Gen 8 runs 2.2 Froyo. The newer G9 will run Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)
2. The USB will handle a Mouse, Keyboard, USB storage,(even powered HD) and newer FW can do USB NICs and the Archos 3G dongle
3. I know the BBC player will work as well as more video codecs than most other Tablets. The Video and Audio core is its strongest suit.
4. The Mini HDMI does work, although some TVs have issue if not newer.
The Micro SD slot is fine even with 16Gb.
It's biggest weakness is the Launcher uses more RAM OS than some others. You may want to consider an alternate Launcher.

blocks_off

Feb 4, 2012
OK,
Here goes
1. THere are two 101s from Archos now. The older Gen 8 runs 2.2 Froyo. The newer G9 will run Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)
2. The USB will handle a Mouse, Keyboard, USB storage,(even powered HD) and newer FW can do USB NICs and the Archos 3G dongle
3. I know the BBC player will work as well as more video codecs than most other Tablets. The Video and Audio core is its strongest suit.
4. The Mini HDMI does work, although some TVs have issue if not newer.
The Micro SD slot is fine even with 16Gb.
It's biggest weakness is the Launcher uses more RAM OS than some others. You may want to consider an alternate Launcher.

Thank you - one is on order...

Carl

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Great reply, Gurgle. Told me lots about the USB port, good to know what's supported on it. Thank you.

I envy that port, on my wife's 101T.

GilesL

Apr 27, 2012
Hi
I have an Archos 101, board version IT-V5 running 2.4.82. Do you think I will ever be able to install Android 3.0 or better?
And will the new Google Chrome android browser work on 2.2.1?
Thanks

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Unfortunately I think the answer to your question of an Archos Firmware higher than the existing is low. I have been using Archo for almost 5 years (Pre Android) They will be very good until the next generation device comes out. Once that appears (Now G9) they go into maintenance/Fix mode. I think there is a stable Community Firmware. BUT, the current build still does not have all the features of the Factory .82 build. But, I could be wrong

Hi
I have an Archos 101, board version IT-V5 running 2.4.82. Do you think I will ever be able to install Android 3.0 or better?
And will the new Google Chrome android browser work on 2.2.1?
Thanks