Archos 101 or Viewsonic G-tab?

Frozen001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the replies. What do you mean by "there's not a lot more we can do with it without source code"

Are there any comparisons of the G before being modded and after? Sort of a side by side.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Thanks for the replies. What do you mean by "there's not a lot more we can do with it without source code"

Are there any comparisons of the G before being modded and after? Sort of a side by side.

With the source code for the G available devs will have access to kernel source as well as the build source so it can be modified, tweaked, pulled, incorporated, etc... Right now the only thing they can do is tweak the factory ROM a little but no real custom stuff. That's where the AOSP comes in with CM 6.1b4 being a built from source ROM. Unfortunately without the actual manufacturers source a lot of things remain slightly buggy but better than the factory ROM.

As for a side by side comparison. Think factory stock as being as fast as a Yugo and as stable as the San Andreas fault line and CM 6.1b4 as being a Lamborghini Diablo VT and as sturdy as the rock of Gibraltar.

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
So I am having some trouble with it "freezing up". Either just on the main screen or while online, I will get a message saying it has frozen and stopped responding. Is there something I'm missing that is causing this? Or maybe just an issue with this launcher it came with? I'm. Not quite ready to root yet,still learning what all I need. But if anyone has an idea I welcome the information!! It's getting to be pain in the a$$!

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
Load a different launcher like LauncherPro. Makes a significant difference.

You can download it from the web and move it to the Gtab and install with estrong filemanager.

Better, flash Roebeet's TnT lite rom. It is the stock rom with a lot of the crap removed and goggle apps installed so you have access to the market. It also adds the performance pack drivers from nvidia which increases performance....quadrant scores go from 1800 to 2400.

You can always flash back to stock but you wouldn't want too :)

Sent from my Viewsonic 10" GTab...

popezaphod

Nov 19, 2010
You will really see a world of difference if you flash the rom with TnT Lite. And there is a how-to thread at the xda forums that is easy to follow.

-=Sent from my ViewSonic G Tablet (Zpad 2.2) using Tapatalk=-

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I replied to you both and it froze on me and seems to have lost them. So, thank you - both I'm headed xda now and maybe flash my rom tonight too! Ill post how it goes!

Btw what do you think of your gtab? I personally am glad I went w/this one overall and the size is perfect & so portable! Archos 10.1 was firstchoice but hell...I'm inpatient and this had nvidia :)

popezaphod

Nov 19, 2010
I love my tablet! I use it every day. It has practically replaced my laptop.

-=Sent from my ViewSonic G Tablet (Zpad 2.2) using Tapatalk=-

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I do too! Haven't tried a few things yet, like printing to my wireless printer or finding office style software, but I'll get there! First gotta stop this freezing up! Searching xda now... I'm still toying alot with it yet getting feel of things.

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
I really enjoy mine. It's replaced me doing a lot of things on my Droid and doing them on the Gtab now. My laptop hasn't been turned on in a while now either.

My primary purpose for the Gtab was while at home and watching TV or such and wanting to check email, facebook, the web, forums, etc...quickly and easily. Also using it as a eReader with Kindle and/or Nook apps.

It has done all those jobs flawlessly (thanks to Roebeet's TnT-Lite 2.2.0 ROM) and also makes a great Angry Birds playing device :) It's light, quick and does exactly what I wanted it to do.
I have about 80% of the apps I have on my Droid installed on the Gtab now and I have really been showing it off to friends/family. Considering buying another for my wife for the exact same functions.

SanityKills

Dec 11, 2010
Switched to Android when I got my EVO 4G and became accustomed to the Market. A tablet has slightly different needs. Just bought my first tablet, the gTablet, today. I'm not seeing the stock ROM as to being as bad as people were saying it was. I downloaded an update upon connecting to Wifi--maybe that's part of it. It was significantly more responsive after the update. However, when it comes to actual usage I'm missing the Market now although Handango has some stuff but it's not quite what I'm comfortable with. I'm finding myself Googling a lot as to how to get certain apps such as the latest version of Flash installed since it doesn't show up on Handango. Upon trying out a few racing games I'm not seeing tilt functionality unless I turn the unit at a 90 degree angle. That tells me it HAS it, but seems wwwaaaayyy off calibration. Or perhaps it's just seeing a rotate feature and nothing in between. Odd. 'Wondering if a custom ROM will resolve this.

Knowing me, I'll probably take the plunge into the alternative ROMs although I tend to like the default browsers and stock themes. I find the native Android theme quite ugly and appearance matters to me.

There was an Arcos 7" tablet in OfficeDepot right next to the gTablet. It just confirmed that I'll never consider a 7" device a "real" tablet. It's a large phone with less functionality. Hardly any bigger than the 4" screen on the EVO 4G which is as large as you can call "portable" in my opinion.

I think the lack of a front facing camera in any device is a major failure. I installed a bar code scanner with the intention of going to an installer URL and was confronted with "how the heck am I going to scan this?". Not a deal breaker but one significant feature left out of an otherwise hardware dominant device.

The device IS heavy. I read reviews before checking it out and figured the complaints were just anal retentive. I would say it compares to weighing slightly less than my Asus 1005-HAB netbook. Your wrist will get tired if you hold it with one hand for very long. I'm inventing ways of holding it, i.e., the "wrap-around" technique, palming it with pinky finger securing the bottom side.

I bought this device because of the $399 price tag--I refuse to pay over $400 for any tablet--and the fact that the software can be corrected. I buy my routers with the same concept in mind (DD-WRT). I'm hoping, in time, a nice interface can be implented into a custom ROM and I'll just live without barcode scanners & camera-based "reality" browsing.

Last edited:

tyy10002

Nov 13, 2010
Sears has a sales today at 349 dollars. You won't find it online. at Stores only. Got mine today at 349 with no tax. (NH) and 14 return with no restocking fee (holiday season). I preordered 101 and canceled it due to the delay and 256M of Ram.. G-tablet has more potential + the people at XDA developers did a wonderful job to make the G-tablet rocks.. go to youtube and search for gtablet + tnt. You will find a dozen of G-tablet video with tnt lite on it..

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
A geeky guy should get the G-Tablet and be a part of the Cyanogenmod porting process :D

If you need something that works, the 101 is going to be just fine.

considering my archos 101 has been on B/O for so long; i am tempted to take your advice and jump on the bandwagon, the gTablet wagon that is..!!

BTW, any comments on the Coby 7015 compared to the gTab from viewsonic..?

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
I have an EVO also and agree a 7 inch tablet isn't much bigger than my EVO. I have been interested in the Archos 101 and I also read about the G TAB which didn't get to good of reviews unless you root it. I am still reading forums and reviews trying to decide on one. Does G TAB not have AM what is Handango?

boneless

Dec 7, 2010
I'm looking for a tablet at home. Just saw that the Archos 101 is available at TigerDirect and was comparing this with the Viewsonic GTab. How do they compare for ease of setting up flash and market apps? There's about $100 price difference so I don't mind tinkering and am pretty computer literate unlocking iphones, building desktops, etc..

I'm not too keen on getting one from outside the US but if there's any recommendations I'll gladly do some research on them.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, This may sound like a stupid question but is not. When do you want this functionality?
The reason I ask is the Archos 101 full Flash capability has not been released. It will be but is going through capability testing. While you can install flash on the Archos 70/101, it runs at limited functionality in comparison to what it will run.
And on the GTab. The interface is loggie. It is actually awful. Only the community build XDA is worth considering. You need a basic level of technical capability to Flash. It is not hard. But you have to expect problems

Long term, the GTab will be the stronger performer. But may be the same in capability.