Archos 101 Tablet, will it get the 3.0 upgrade, or the fuul Google Market?

Discussion in 'Archos Tablets' started by Rockstar, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Rockstar

Rockstar Junior Member

I need some help! I'm really thinking about getting one of these tablets (the 101), my only concern is will they be upgradeable to future versions of Android, such as the anticipated 3.0 release?, and will they get the full Google market? Or should I wait to see the fabled Motorola tablet that is coming out? Any help would be great, thanks.
  2. scholzj

scholzj Junior Member

Archos didn't provided much support for it's previous generation Android tablet. That's why I would not bet on some official upgrades. However, at least the market will be hopefully hacked by the community ...
  3. cpg716

cpg716 Junior Member

People say this, but they are still releasing firmware updates for a tablet they released a year ago... So.. I disagree with this...

Also, NO ONE knows if right now if ANY device will be able to upgrade to Gingerbread, as it doesnt exist yet... Google has made NO TRUE announcements about it, everything is rumor or speculation.

The Google market is probably a likely hack, but dont buy the device thinking that, as it could never happen....

CPG
  4. scholzj

scholzj Junior Member

Yes, they released some updates, true. But they are still only updating the 1.6 firmware, right?
  5. iamdestruktor

iamdestruktor Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    HAIPAD G10
    For the prices i'm seeing, too bad it doesn't have 1080p
  6. cpg716

cpg716 Junior Member

This is a media device.. Why not focus on improving what they offer on 1.6 Firmware. There is no need ultimately to do 2.1 or 2.2 at this point. It is a one year old device, and 2.2 devices are coming out. Its not if the device doesnt function cause its on 1.6.

As I have said before. Buy the device for what it does today. Upgrades are a perk, not a right.

CPG
  7. scholzj

scholzj Junior Member

Yes, I agree with you in almost everything. It is definitely better to have a good and stable 1.6 firmware then clumsy 2.1 or 2.2. And as you said, you should be buying what's for sale today and not what may come as an upgrade.

I just believe that the unreleased 2.1 firmware for Archos 5IT is kind of an indication that you should not put much hope on the official ยง.0 release for 8th generation tablets.
  8. TapNClick

TapNClick Junior Member

Is there any way to be able to browse the AppsLib market without actually owning an Archos tablet? I have pre-ordered an Archos 101 and I'd like to start looking through the available apps so that I can make plans for which of them I want to obtain.
  9. nomadjim

nomadjim Junior Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. Swould333

Swould333 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Archos 101, Viewsonic G-Tablet, Motorola Droid X.... test drove: Augen gentouch 78, Coby Kyros 7015
    they have it on the web... and it is a good listing...

AppsLib

the android market web site only hit's on a few high lighted apps... in NO way should the web site be an indication that it is a complete listing of what's available...

if you do some researh you'll find that they have already found a way to easily load the Android Market on these devices.. at least on the 2.1 version that they are currently being shipped with... that MAY change when it goes to 2.2
    • Like Like x 2
  11. LS650

LS650 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Gpad G10 7" tablet, LG Optimus One phone
    I like the AndroidTapp site for searching for apps, reviews, etc.
  12. tyy10002

tyy10002 Junior Member

I pre-ordered the 101 in TD but canceled it after learning the G-tablet and thinking that the 101 will be out-dated early next year when Android 3.0 tablets release. There is a rumor saying Android 3.0 needs 512 of RAM.. 101 comes with 256M.. Not sure the 101 can be upgraded to Android 3.0
  13. TapNClick

TapNClick Junior Member

I finally was able to get to that site. For some reason it had shown up on web searches the last few days but generated a "page not found" error. I tried it yesterday and it was working again.

Once I got to it I was very disappointed in the way it is organized. Many of the entries are not even readable because the text is in some non-western font so all that shows up is a bunch of little squares.
  14. stevepsycho

stevepsycho Junior Member

Does anyone knw when the archos 10-1 ablet will be available? I just purchased the huawei s7 from best buy yesterday. And It really is amazing. But if the archos s7 is coming out any time soon. I would consider trying it out as well. Especially for the same price.
  15. ainyul

ainyul Junior Member

although the archos has some advantages the main disadvantage of the archos is no SIM card support., no 3G ...:(
  16. stevepsycho

stevepsycho Junior Member

That's true but if that's the only reason its not enough. I have a G2 that's capable of high speed thethering so that's the way to go. If your thinking about using the Huaei s7 as a phone good luck that thing is huge.
  17. ainyul

ainyul Junior Member

not as a phone but a dedicated 3G web surfing unit; ie for family members who want to surf but r over whelmed by the laptop, netbook or...; aka an ipad for consuming data without having to hunt for a WIFI signal if away from home..

PS: BT on the rare event want to use it as a phone; but perhaps to video chat with family members far away it would work..!!
  18. naysses

naysses Junior Member

Anyone that already has the Archos 70 .... How many memory has it, 256Mb,512Mb or 1Gb?
    Also, is the camera VGA or 1.3 M pixel? Is the quality of the camera good?
    Please, let me know.... thanks
  19. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Junior Member

I just got my Archos 101 and have market place with some apps on it from there. I see this appslib icon on there and I just was looking at some of there apps. So can I go to appsl;ib on the Archos and get apps from there also plus have ones from the marketplace?
  20. Morris

Morris Junior Member

The fresh shipped archos 101 comes with Android 2.2.
    On the internet you find files etc to download Android market (appslib is made by Archos itself).

The easiest way to get the whole 9 yards (Market, Maps, youtube, navigation etc.) is:

-open appslib and search for 'market'.
    -Then you get an archos program, download and install it
    -install the programs and reboot (installing can take a while, be patient)

Presto!

Greetz from the Netherlands