Archos 101 upgrade options?

callumalmost

Nov 29, 2011
found a 101 gen 8 tablet for an incredible deal but was wondering what are my options when i get it for upgrading the firmware. i am mostly looking to get honeycomb on it. also i am definetly not clued up on all this rooting buisness so if it is possible to root and the upgrade to honeycomb i would need some clear instructions which i have been unable to find on the internet so far does anyone have a link to a set of instructions detailling a honeycomb upgrade (if possible)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Archos is a great platform for viewing video and Archos provides good Firmware support updates. And you can easily create dual boots for Linux and Archos. The problem will be, Do not expect it to update to Gingerbread or Honeycomb FW from Archos. They are going to focus on the Gen9 over this platform. This is due to the known limitations of only 256 Mb for OS and the single core processor while great for Froyo (2.2) It will not be a best performer on either 2.3 or 3.x.

My opinion is to buy it if you want one of the lightest weighing 10.1 tabs about. But remember Gen8 Archos is EOL and you can purchase dual cores for just a bit more.
I have had my 101/16 for over a year. It was my daily use unit for all tasks. But have just updated to an ASUS Transformer 32 for performance and factory Honeycomb 3.2. It is a good unit. It is just getting a bit out of date.