Archos 101D Neon Not Starting

hfiani

Mar 21, 2018
hello, i know you will say try charging, hard reset, etc... i tried all that, i also got a new battery, only to find that the device still does not boot. there is not light at all even if i plug the charger.

any ideas of what could be the issue? (other than: go buy a new one)

hfiani

Mar 21, 2018
ok so i managed to open it up and i found a blown up transistor, however i have no idea what it is to replace it. can anyone help? i will post a picture where the transistor was (in red). also i would like to know what is the thing in blue

also if i can find the electrical map of the board it would be great

thanks

Attachments

• PHOTO_20180324_131221.jpg
    PHOTO_20180324_131221.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 476

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well, the big problem here is that no one apparently has your tablet, which is why no one has any information for you. However, just from looking at your picture, you have more issues than just the single transformer. That large item circled in blue I'm guessing is a power rectifier or capacitor, and not only is it damaged, but the resistors next to it appear to be damaged as well.

While you could replace those parts, there's no guarantee you'd actually fix the problem. Usually, if something in the power circuit is visibly damaged, there's a lot more stuff that is damaged that you can't see. Traces could be burnt without you noticing. The resistors near the square component seem like they've seen some heat and could be damaged. And then you still have to figure out what caused these components to perform as they did.

To try and repair this would be like going down a rabbit hole, and honestly it simply isn't worth it on a tablet that's five years old.

hfiani

Mar 21, 2018
well the circled in blue is functioning it is just that i removed it and reseated it along with the capacitor next to it. the problem is the red one. that one was exploded. and i see what you mean, and it could be the case because i still have a short on the battery even with the damaged transistor removed.

is there any site where i can buy the board? or not worth buying one in the first place?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Well, it is a quad-core processor in there, so that may make it worthwhile to purchase a new board. At the same time you have to think about the future. Your tablet runs Android 4.4, and a lot of apps are no longer supporting it. A tablet with a newer version of Android might be something you should look into.

If you decide to replace the board, look for a tablet on ebay or swappa with a broken screen. You should then be able to get it for a relatively inexpensive price.

hfiani

Mar 21, 2018
i do not really care about the version, i have a 4.4.2 phone, and a 4.4.4 phone and a 5.1.0 phone and a 7.0.0 phone. so the tablet is barely for reading and watching youtube while in the subway trains and etc... also i am unable to find any used archos 101d anywhere (for a reasonable price. but anyway thanks for the help