Archos 7" w/android 2.1 on sale for $99.99

shaggysan

Mar 11, 2011
Just a saw this in my inbox and didnt see anybody mention it here thought somebody might be interested. On sale at Tigerdirect sale ends 3/13.

$allgrw_08.jpg

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Danger WILL ROBINSON, Potentially incorrect Ad, I think these are the old CUPCAKE NOT Eclair versions. The clues are the following
1. The Ver 2 has just come out and they would be using the refurbs as repair spares
2. The RockChip CPU sounds like the RK2808 not the
3. V2 is 501673 This one is 501521 for part numbers
4. V1 is only B/G Wireless V2 is B/G/N This one as advertised is B/G
I could continue, but be warned or skeptical
I like TigerDirect. But this has happened before.

shaggysan

Mar 11, 2011
Thanks for the detailed info gurgle, I myself am new to the android tablet market. I was just posting this ad to throw some info out there if someone was looking for one on the cheap. I did see that the ad was in reference to refurbished machines and they sometimes have less options. I too have seen this tactic from Tiger before on other products. Thanks again for the info.

SumTuusDeus

Mar 11, 2011
I bought it this morning when I saw the ad. I figured even if it doesnt run great, It will still be ten times better than the kindle for much cheaper along with having a butt load of more functionality than a kindle. we'll see how it turns out with getting android 2.2 working on it >.<

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
Actually I got my mom the Kindle for Xmas and we both love it. I spent a whole day setting it up and she's been using it for 3 months. It was easy to use and does its job well.
But the Archos home 7 has been a real pain for me. At the very least it should have been a capacitive touch screen. And having to use a custom firmware just to get the Market is a hassle. Not a big hassle, but a deal breaker coupled with the horrible interface. Of course I am using version 1 which has Android 1.6.
For a hundred bucks I should have experimented with the 2.1 version instead. Would probably be a lot happier with support for more apps.
But you have to jump in somewhere and it makes sense to do it cheap the first time. But after todays experience I will just keep my Droid as my PDA even after the contract expires.

For reference you can find the custom firmware for both versions of the Home 7 on the archos fans forum.

Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Operation Unbrickable: The quest for Google Apps
This is just version 1, but version 2 is around. It doesnt completely mess up you system, just gives Market access and dumps the crummy apps that Archos preinstalls.