Archos G9 Honeycomb Tablets Available for Pre-Order on September 20th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Archos-G9-slash-gear-spet-2011.jpg

The Archos G9 Android Honeycomb tablet will be available for pre-order on September 20th, and the tab is expected to arrive for retail in October. As a refresher, this Honeycomb tablet is the first to come with a giant 250GB Hard Drive.

For some that is a huge boon, but keep in mind for the HD to be that size and still be affordable in a tablet, it would have to be a regular platter based physical HD. As long as you are careful with the tab you should be fine; however, regular hard drives are prone to sector damage from shock and vibration, whereas the smaller SSD 16GB and 32GB varieties arriving in traditional tablets are not. Here's a quote from the SlashGear article with details on Archos' different versions,
The Archos 101 G9 tablet will come in two versions with a 16GB version that sells for $399. The 250GB version of that tablet will sell for $469. The Archos 80 G9 with 16GB will sell for $329 and the 250GB version will sell for $369. The 250GB version of each model use a HDD inside and the other version uses flash storage. There will be a third version of the Archos 80 G9 with 8GB of storage and a 1GHz processor for $299 that will be in stores on September 30.

The tablets all use a 1GHz Arm Cortex A9 dual core processor. There will also be a Turbo version with the OMAP 4 dual-core processor at 1.5GHz.
These seem like pretty competitive prices. Once they are released it will be interesting to see if the quality is good or matches the price.

Source: SlashGear

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Two Points to keep in mind.
1. The 1GHz G80/8 will be available Sept 20 in small batches to the US only. This is similar to the distribution which was done with the Gen8 series last year. The 101 G9 available shortly thereafter in the same way.
2. The 1.5GHz G80/250 and all 101 G9 with the 1.5GHz processor will not be available due to Archos following Texas Instruments Road Map for processor release.

The prices are still reasonable compared to the initial pricing for the Gen8. In December 2010, I purchased my Gen8 A101/16 for $350USD. The G9 series 101/16 will be right now $50USD more.
This is a totally different model with larger multi-Core Processor, More OS RAM and App Internal storage partition. That will resolve many annoyances which face me with my 256Mb OS RAM and 2Gb which filled up to easily.