Archos May 'Get Serious' with Gen 9 Tablet - Honeycomb, Dual-Core, 250GB HDD

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
3-18-11-archos-gen-9.jpg

The Archos Tablets have always been a bit 'underwhelming' to say the least, but rumors in the industry suggest that their newest offering may be proof-positive that they want to get seriously competitive in the Tablet industry. The 'intel' on the streets is that their newest Gen 9 Tablet will come with Honeycomb, sport a 1.6GHz Dual-Core A9 processor, and have a whopping 250GB HDD or a 32GB SSD!

Although these specs look very impressive, their build quality was frequently 'questionable' to put it bluntly. What do you guys think? If they have improved the quality of their product, would you give them a second chance?

Source: Engadget

ZaXa

Mar 5, 2011
Their poor (and somewhat belligerent) customer support has soured me on ever buying another Archos product.

Matt

rjgtr

Nov 28, 2010
Hard drives over SSDs? No thanks.

But they have two versions, one with the drive and the other with the SSD. I think that's a plus. Choose the storage option that best suits you. My only concern is that the last Gen 8 tablets had some networking issues and other things that really should have been corrected before release. That doesn't show a company focused on quality products. At least the price point is about right.

That's a strike against the XOOM for me, too. I'm really surprised they would release and $800 tablet that didn't support the basic hardware.

Back on topic, Archos also needs to maintain some sort of upgrade path on Android versions, other than buying a new tablet every 9 months.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Regarding the lack of upgrade paths, every Android device is like that. Can't really blame Archos.

Archos actually has an in-house Android development team. That's better than most.

ZaXa

Mar 5, 2011
I would strongly recommend getting behind any line of android products that is a reference platform, like the Nexus 1, S, Xoom if you want to have continued upgrade paths. Anything providing a custom experience or different hardware is going to lag or get no updates at all.

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
Hard to tell what I think about it -- Archos tablets, except for the cheapest, most bare-bones "home" models, are so hard to find, I've never had a chance to test one out.