Are any of these tablets actually good?

nibbz

Aug 24, 2010
What do they do that my Droid cant already do. These all look like fakes and ****, and none of them are widely marketed. What is the catch here if you don't mind me asking.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You are looking at imports for most of the tablets out there. Most are made in China to be marketed locally.

As for them being 'fake', it's the hardware and worksmanship that counts. Almost every electronics item comes from Shenzhen China. The difference is large and small scale companies who can afford better equipment to do the job better.

The catch is that you wont get support from the companies that make them, which often try to pocket as much cash as possible and ignore end-user support, especially for foreign countries.

Some of these tablets are alright, but they are no where near flawless. For the price they sell for, they are feature packed. But there are issues.

Keep in mind that every so called fake product you see is a viable product where it is sold locally, even the phone clones.

Also take overseas shipping into account.

nibbz

Aug 24, 2010
good points and thanks for clearing up my confusion, now what kind of things can they do that i cant do on my droid?

Khosravi

Aug 24, 2010
Well the main advantage of a tablet pc is the larger screen. So surfing the web should be much easier to do. Another plus of a tablet is that it can support usb devices with multiple usb ports. So you can charge your other devices while using the tablet. Some of the newer tablets are now coming out with HDMI ports to plug into HD TV's. Regardless of what you decide to do, try to stick with the tablets running the newer versions of Android (eg. 2.1)

Aug 24, 2010
Lol wow, i have a droid and im kinda ashamed of the tablets right now too. Looking at the stats im shocked. Ram is only 512 on the best tablet i can find. I expect that in a phone but if im getting a 10inch tablet, i want some more ram. Then their is cpu... 800mhz is the best i can find. My D1 out performs that. Im running it 1.2 ghz... The new D2's have 1ghz in them without oc'ing....What gives? Does a bigger device not mean better specs here? I thought phones have a limit because their size, tablets seem to be contradicting that. If they made $500 1gb ram with at least 1.5ghz of cpu (thats the norm for netbooks!) id go for it.

egoman

Aug 25, 2010
"Fake" is all depended on quality of factory and the origin of production. Actually, the chipset makers are all ARM Licensee, so there is no fake. Some companies still work on FCC, CE approval. For example. Archos also produced by Shenzhen maufactuers. Of course, some makers copy iPad. However, keep checking, you still can find quality products soon or later.

By the way, there's no possibility for brand company to make 5"/7"/8" mobile phone. I don't know is there anybody can stand to surf internet by 3.5" or 4" for more than one hour......:-(

Multi-touch not a problem for manufactuers, only the patent concern (Apple owns the patent of multi-touch?)

Of course, 800X480 is a setback cause most of mobile phones' app with resolution less than it.

Last edited: