Are people still buying non-ICS tablets?

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I'm still seeing ads for Android 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 tablets. What are your decisions for buying a tablet with something older than Android 4.0 (ICS) these days?

Natey2

May 25, 2012
For the cheaper tablets, I get the feeling that the manufacturers don't have an official upgrade plan; they simply release a new model of the tablet with a newer version of Android on it. Would upgrading such tablets involve rooting it and flashing a 3rd-party image/ROM ?

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
this is where google is behind all tablets that are new should have ics and all the tablets that still have the older os should be up gradeable..there is no reason why old os should still be on tablets that are store brought or in peoples ands

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
For the cheaper tablets, I get the feeling that the manufacturers don't have an official upgrade plan; they simply release a new model of the tablet with a newer version of Android on it. Would upgrading such tablets involve rooting it and flashing a 3rd-party image/ROM ?
I couldn't imaging owning any android or Linux for that matter and not have root, So I guess I don't understand your question, can be upgraded means the hardware is sufficient to support the latest OS, and there is a rom be it official or unofficial that can be installed on the tablet. , if the tablet can't be upgrade then no I wouldn't buy it,

i bought a ployer momo8 with 2.3 upgrade to 4.0 without any problems, why? cause the tablet was upgradeable.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Would not have a problem buying a tablet or phone that was not running ICS. ICS may be the newest Android OS but there are many app developers that still have not updated their apps to run on ICS which means you would need a older OS to use them.
What is really important is that the device works well with the OS that is on it. Currently I have two Android tablets neither has ICS, and both tablets do everything I need of them.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
i agree with androidfonefan. ics isnt necessary & still has many issues to be sorted out. ics is meant primarily for tablets but until all the problems are ironed out, older os's are still better in many respects especially with app compatibility. i own an ics tab & i'm patiently waiting for a stable upgrade after reading ics update issues with my tablet. there are apps i want to use but im happy to wait until theyre available in a stable manner for my tab. i see no reason not to buy an older os tablet as long as it will be upgradable in time.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
From what I hear, Android 2.x is suited for phones. Android 3.x is for tablets only. Android 4.x is for both tablets and phones.
I find ICS 4.0.3 on my tablet much better than GB 2.3.4 on my DroidX, but Motorola/Verizon may be causing problems on the latter.

Android changelog: Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess technically this is true, but I believe that HoneyComb did make it on to quite a few phones. Remember GingerBread was never meant for tablets but is still being loaded on quite a few. I own a Lenovo tablet that runs GB and this little thing works quite well. ICS was meant to be the crossover OS but I'm sure well see it in quite a few things besides phones and tablets.

TV's, DVD or BluRay players and all kinds of other portable devices.

raju201239

Mar 23, 2012
My decision is to not to buy Device which is not supporting ICS. ICS is more smart to use & apply than other Android versions. Why to go with a older version when we can avail latest one.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Lol what ever dude. There is nothing wrong with a honeycomb or gingerbread tablet.
But you stick to your guns and have fun with that ICS when you get it.
I don't mean anything by that, I just don't understand the ICS craze.
Would I like ICS, sure, but I want it to work as well as gingerbread does on this tablet and as well as honeycomb does on my Lenovo tablet.
So if i have to wait till fall or next spring for it its fine so long as it works correctly when I get it. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy what I have and be happy with the fact that everything works just as it should.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
To be honest I haven't seen a huge difference on my Transformer between Honeycomb and ICS.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
According to this Android developers statistics, Android 2.3 OS is installed in 64.6% android devices.

Thanks for that statistic! It is helpful to get an idea of the breakdown. But that statistic "... is based on the number of Android devices that have accessed Google Play within a 14-day period ..."

I suspect many generic ICS tablets don't have access to Google Play.
And those that are hacked to enable them to access Google Play might be using a different identifier to fool Google Play into thinking they are some other device or version.