Are people still buying non-ICS tablets?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Even so, the point is still valid that ICS makes up a very small percentage of Android devices at this time. The percent in and of itself doesn't mean anything though and as time goes by you can expect ICS to make up a larger and larger percent of Android devices.

To answer the most basic part of the question though, yes most devices being sold do not have ICS. In fact even the newer devices are being sold without it with promises that they will be upgraded to ICS at some point. There are no special reasons to avoid older versions of Android from 2.2 on (before 2.2 doesn't support Flash). Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is sort of like Windows XP, solid and very capable of getting things done. Android pre 3.0 is optimized for phone and not tablets by default though. ICS brings a unified theme to Android and introduces tablet optimization as well. So there is no reason to avoid Android 2.2 or 2.3 but there is also no reason to specifically seek out ICS if it is the only thing missing from a tablet you would otherwise choose.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Natey2 said:
Here's what's new in ICS: http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/
And it's more stable than the Android 2.3.4 running on my phone.

Its more that, so far, I haven't found my Transformer more productive or reliable, or even faster, since the ICS update. There are definitely things I like in ICS on the tablet, but it is on my phone that ICS really seems to shine. I just got a new HTC running ICS out of the box and I am thrilled. It even allows moving apps to SD, so far very impressed.