Assistance Needed With Nook Color Dual Booting

wpix

Nov 17, 2011
Hi All,

I am new to the Nook Scene(have a android device) and am trying to set it up for my mom for the holidays.

I got it with 1.20 installed used from someone, so i did the following steps.

1.De registered/cleared the device(looked on bottom of the box and saw it didnt have a blue dot but sticker said preowned so not sure)
2.got the eyeball 1gb img file used winimage to burn to sd(2gb unsure of class), then copied 1.01 nook orig file and used CWM to erase system/data then loaded.
3.registered device.
4.took out sd used cm7 base image,cm7.10 installed.
5.copied over gapps installed in recovery.

Now when i take out the sd card when off i get install failed or something like that(don't have it with me I am at work) with a error message.

What did i do wrong to do dual boot?

Also is phiremod more customizable, basically i want something stable and good and to increase the font for my parents, and to overclock so it works well.

Thank you all for reading and some insight would be appreciated.

I also would like to know /make sure if both seperate entities that i can update the nook color without breaking the sd
Dee

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
You erased the device. What you should have done was leave the internal eMMC alone after de-registering so that your mom could later register it herself. Since you have a bootable card with a working version of CWM (It's version 3.2.0.1, right?) Boot up with the card again and wipe system, data, cache and Davlik (the last under advanced). If you get any can't format errors, choose the option that says factory restore next just to be sure. And before you do all this, put the following stock ROM file (1.3) on the card. After wiping again, install this .zip with CWM and then pull the card and reboot. This will remove CWM from the device itself and give you the (currently) newest stock ROM.

1.3 zip Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

If you do not have version 3.2.0.1 of CWM, you can find it here: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

For installing CM7 on an SD card with dual boot options I will let someone more knowledgeable advise as I am more experienced in running it off the eMMC.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Once you have restored the stock Nook you can update it and do whatever you want with it completely separately from what you have on the bootable SD card. The nice thing about the bootable SD is that they really have nothing to do with one another. For more information on creating a bootbale SD card you can look here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

There is no real advantage in phiremod over any other custom ROM in terms of customization that you want to do. Phiremod is just a pre-customized version of CM7. CM7 has the most support at this point and they will be working on CM9 now that Ice Cream Sandwich has been released. I recommend using this to start and then seeing if phiremod or ultimate droid or another custom ROM suits you better.

Last edited:

wpix

Nov 17, 2011
Thanks for commenting j515op
is there anyway to make the font bigger or something like that you know of?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, there are ways to change the resolution system wide but it can cause compatibility issues with apps and the Market so you may want to try it out first and see where your needs are. For example reader apps usually come with a font changing feature and you can pinch to zoom on most browser apps.

wpix

Nov 17, 2011
I used the 1.3 stock rom but still have a issue where i used the cm7 loader image on my sd followed by cm710 encore and the gapps installer. It all runs fine but when it flushes cache and restarts it just gets a off screen and power doesnt work to boot it up. Or it will come up with 3 words and be stuck there. I can remove the sd reboot and goto stock nook. I tried the instructions in the post getting cm7 on sd using agnostic installer as well from xda and the same issue black screen.

Any idea what i am doing wrong to get cm7 off of sd?