ASUS 201TF Firmware Update

Musing

Aug 27, 2012
Since I am new to the tablet world and having received notice of a firmware update; what is the consensus of installing the update? With my computers, I never updated the BIOS unless it was absolutely necessary. I still believe, If It Aint Broke, Don't Fix It!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
This is a little more than a bios type of update. It's more like going from Windows 98 to 98 Second Edition. I suggest you go ahead and do it, after a restart of your TF or it will bug you to death trying.

JONEZ

Sep 30, 2012
Just installed the jellybean update & my advice is to wait. There appear to be a lot of people (myself included) experiencing problems such as the machine rebooting itself constantly which is so annoying. Wait until there is a further update which includes fixes for the situation is my advice.

Its rained on my jellybean parade dramatically. Not a good start Asus you idiots.

My 1st post as well so hello to everybody else !

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So far I know of a few dozen people who had no problem at all. I did suggest that restart before the update but my general recommendation is a hard reset prior to any patching. Mine went like silk as did the upgrade for several of my customers who own TF201s.

What you are experiencing was the same thing people had problems with when the TF101 and TF201 upgraded to ICS. It's all in the apps you have/had installed and when the last time you did a hard reset was.

History says that a factory reset, without syncing back to Google or ASUS when setting it back up and not auto syncing the app installs will solve your problem. Or you could also do a hard reset now and wait for additional app patching.

frick2000

Sep 29, 2012
My upgrade to Jelly Bean went very smoothly....
Except
1 the main camera no longer sees anything but buzzy green lines.2. The keyboard often does not pop on when using the facebook app.

I have cold booted, factory reseted and still no correction o n the camera issue.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Tablet

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The camera issue does seem to have been a problem for some people even before the JB upgrade. For some the problem went away by itself. Not sure what to say that will help on that at the moment but if I find anything I'll try to get back to you.

The Facebook app is another story all together. ;)

Musing

Aug 27, 2012
Thanks to all who responded to my question.

leeshor, what is a hard reset?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
This is a hard reset

Disconnect from power, do a shut down, (power off)

Hold the volume button in the down position then at the same time hold the power button until you see some white writing in the upper left corner of the screen. Then let go of both buttons and wait. With ICS you will see 2 icons and with JB you will see 4 icons. Both will default to the cold boot aka hard reset.

Musing

Aug 27, 2012
leeshor, I have ICS on my TF201, do you suggest that I do a hard reset before downloading the firmware update?

Musing

Aug 27, 2012
leeshor, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. :eek: