ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2 with Ice Cream Sandwich and Tegra 3 Coming Oct/Nov

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
EeePadTransformer-2-rumor.jpg

Although this may only be a rumor, if it turns out to be true, it would appear that ASUS is a bit "overzealous" about their Android Tablets. They just released their Eee Pad Transformer a couple of months ago to a rousing success, and now they already have planned an Eee Pad Transformer 2 that will launch using the NVIDIA Tegra 3 (Kal-El) Quad-core processor, and Google's latest Android OS, Ice Cream Sandwich. Additionally, sources also suggest that ASUS will still price things very competitively at $399.99. Apparently, ASUS will actually not be making any profit on either version of the Transformer. They are selling the tablets at a "break-even" price-point and instead will make profit on sales of the keyboard dock. That's a gutsy, but pretty sharp move. What do you guys think?

You can discuss more about ASUS' Android tablets in our AndroidTablets.net dedicated section, or check out our dedicated sister-site @TransformerForums.com!

Source: TransformerForums.com via SlashGear

Last edited:

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
I like that move! It is gutsy and smart and I hope it pays off for them. Not sure that T2 isn't just a rumor though, it seems to be coming awfully soon, and unless I wasn't paying attention, it's the first to even mention Ice Cream.

Sssith

Jun 24, 2011
From what I read about Ice Cream it seems more aimed at bringing Honeycomb functionality to the phone market than doing anything special/new for tablets. Google is looking to unify their OS to have only one. Makes sense for them but to expect that it will improve the Tablets in any significant way might be off base.

I am currently debating whether I should get the Transformer and if anyone knows anything specific about this rumor it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
Sssith, valid point about the OS features, but the big news (if true) with the T2 would be the Kal El hardware.

Sssith

Jun 24, 2011
Yeah...a new graphics chip would be interesting.

Argg...decisions...decisions.

I would love to have something to keep my company on my daily Bart trip in and out of SF.

Fusioncept

Jul 24, 2011
I already bought the Asus Transformer in August, and I absolutely love it. I'm sure the T2 will be much better of course, but I just plan on modding my current gen Transformer to run ICS. It probably won't be that much harder on my CPU, like Sssith said, it'll probably a slight modification to Honeycomb, in terms of the tablet side of things.

That being said, I absolutely love my TF. It's a fantastic tablet.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I totally agree, I absolutely love my Transformer. Somehow I doubt the T2 will be out, at least in any real quantity, before next year. It was difficult to get this original Transformer for months after its release, I imagine the same will hold true for the T2.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Looks like November 9th we should know when the Transformer Prime will ship, apparently quad-core running Honeycomb for now.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum