ASUS is going to lose out...

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I first heard about the Asus Transformer the first part of January and I started saving my spare money to get one when it came out.

First was the UK release which failed because they did not provide adequate inventory. Then they made a big hoopla about the US release. I figured they had to have a better handle on inventory because they would have a better idea of the demand.

Nope, knowing the demand would be high they provided just enough inventory to last less than 15 minutes and let that go the day BEFORE the announced release date. This was just enough to make those of us waiting for them MAD. Read their facebook comments. Its amazing bad publicity! They explain it away by saying that they were caught off guard by the demand. I say that is a LIE to cover up their blunder. If they thought that the amount of inventory would be adequate, why the big advertising campaign and the bold mocking of the iPad.

They were no where near ready to actually launch the Transformer but were being beat to the market by their competition. Instead of waiting until they really were ready they boldly went ahead with a launch but sent WAY to few units out. Sending less than 50 o NewEgg is ridiculous. They sold out in less than 15 minutes everywhere online.

I went to my local bestbuy and they had not even heard when they might see them in the store. I picked up an Acer Iconia because it was there in the store. I had planned on returning it within the 14 days to get a Transformer but they are still over a month away at best and I really like the Iconia. My 14 days is up in two days and I think I will keep it. There are things I like better about the transformer but the fact that its is still vaporware makes it a LOT less appealing than the Iconia on my desk.

Maybe I will sell it and get a transformer in the future but I am not so sure now.

Cen5

rkirmeier

May 9, 2011
Dude, if you are really that clueless as to why anything requiring parts from Japan or being built there is in short supply maybe you should buy a tv instead or try reading a little news.... NEWS FLASH... There is a nuclear disaster in Japan!

BTW: The reason the Acer is in stock cause the only people buying them are the ones who have no patients to wait for stock of a Transformer...

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
DUDE?! I am not unaware of the disaster in Japan but apparently ASUS is (or is unwilling to acknowledge it) because they went ahead with the launch pretending they would have stock and then blamed the shortage on unanticipated demand. They could have said that their launch would be delayed due to the national disaster. They never had inventory for the launch and they knew it. It will be MONTHS before parts supply from Japan is back to normal. Not sure what they were attempting to prove but all it proved to me was that ASUS marketing and management is clueless.

They may make good products (I love my asus netbook) but this launch was a major fail.

Cen5

rkirmeier

May 9, 2011
Not to bright are ya?

First of all they planned to have 300k built per month and because of the disaster they can only build 10k. So you think they just not sell 10k a month because they can't meet demand? Well I ordered one on Saturday and shipped today... I guess I am glad you are not in charge!!!

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
Not to bright are ya?

First of all they planned to have 300k built per month and because of the disaster they can only build 10k. So you think they just not sell 10k a month because they can't meet demand? Well I ordered one on Saturday and shipped today... I guess I am glad you are not in charge!!!

I understand that, but then why not do a soft launch since you have a little over 3% of your expected production. But no, they still hype it up like nothing is the matter. They blame the failure on unprecedented demand. They did it for marketing reasons and are still misleading everyone about the real reason.

Sound like a fanboy to me. Like I said I really like ASUS, I think they make great products. They could have handled this situation MUCH better.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Not to bright are ya?

Please, no trolling.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk! Eat that Apple!

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I got mine on the 5th. From hhgregg.com. It's very cool. My dock has just shipped. from amazom. Seek and ye shall find.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
They are making 100K this month anyways for those who are slow on the news. Also they will ship 200K in June.

funkybudda

May 13, 2011
calling it a vaporware is a bit harsh. In US, these things are in very high demand right now, cant find it anywhere. Just because it sold out very fast doesn't mean Asus handled the situation badly. Sometime good things come to those who wait :)

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
calling it a vaporware is a bit harsh. In US, these things are in very high demand right now, cant find it anywhere. Just because it sold out very fast doesn't mean Asus handled the situation badly. Sometime good things come to those who wait :)

Ok, maybe "vaporware" is a bit harsh but I still think that proceeding with a full media launch when you knew that you had less than 5% of your initially anticipated production available and would not be up to 1/3 of your anticipated production for more than a month is a FAILED launch. A soft launch with a press release detailing the situation would have been better.

I am on lists to be notified when stock is available from Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect with no emails yet.

I am no longer in a hurry, I really like my Acer Iconia and will not look to get a different Tablet until next year.

Cen5

MikeTodd

Mar 26, 2011
I'm waiting on the Tegra 3 since I already have a low cost tablet which fulfills my current needs. I love what I've seen of the Transformer and am glad Asus is doing well. I understand they will have a Tegra 3 based tablet out before the end of Summer.

rkirmeier

May 9, 2011
Got my Transformer and it rocks. Used the nowinstock.com site and had one on order withing a few days. Just ordered the keyboard dock the other day via the nowinstock.com notification... Personally I think the Transformer is much nicer in person then in pictures!

Mr.Gadget

Apr 13, 2011
Have you guys looked on eBay lately? There are a ton for sale, but they are all totally and amazingly inflated. So it looks like Asus is pumping them out but it is sellers on eBay that are buying them up.

rkirmeier, I think it is .net, not .com... :)