Asus Prime TF201 totally dead

BabaGo

Jun 13, 2012
I got this about 3 weeks ago, and for the last week, I've tried to get the monitor to come on. The charger got really hot, and for a while the back of the tablet was really hot too. The keyboard had an orange light which changed to green. Now there is no response.

Should I return this unit?
Where do I find a good service place, would Staples do it?
Should I get another charger and try to get a response so I can at least check what happened?
If there is a battery in the keyboard, should I get a new one?
If there is a battery in the tablet itself, should I replace it? Is it something I can do myself?
I cannot even read the manual, I did not get one, and my attempts at navigating the ASUS website were laughable. I guess I'm too accustomed to
the easy American way of getting customer service that makes sense.

When this went out, I was playing a game of Mahjong, downloaded for free from Google Play. What a bummer.
I even got the 64g version, and a miniSDHC but could find no way to transfer any files to the removable storage. If it doesn't let you use it, why did they build that slot into the tablet in the first place. Thankfully I did not buy a case for the blamed thing! It's too much money invested to trash can it now.

Any advice will be most appreciated. Right now I have a bad taste in my mouth for the ASUS.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I got this about 3 weeks ago, and for the last week, I've tried to get the monitor to come on. The charger got really hot, and for a while the back of the tablet was really hot too. The keyboard had an orange light which changed to green. Now there is no response.

Should I return this unit?
Where do I find a good service place, would Staples do it?
Should I get another charger and try to get a response so I can at least check what happened?
If there is a battery in the keyboard, should I get a new one?
If there is a battery in the tablet itself, should I replace it? Is it something I can do myself?
I cannot even read the manual, I did not get one, and my attempts at navigating the ASUS website were laughable. I guess I'm too accustomed to
the easy American way of getting customer service that makes sense.

When this went out, I was playing a game of Mahjong, downloaded for free from Google Play. What a bummer.
I even got the 64g version, and a miniSDHC but could find no way to transfer any files to the removable storage. If it doesn't let you use it, why did they build that slot into the tablet in the first place. Thankfully I did not buy a case for the blamed thing! It's too much money invested to trash can it now.

Any advice will be most appreciated. Right now I have a bad taste in my mouth for the ASUS.

First, I would try a pinhole reset (the hole on the left between the microSD and the HDMI port). Use a paperclip and hold it down for about 3 seconds and see if she boots up. This will not erase any data, just a hard reset (which clears out some of the caches and temp files).

Secondly, here is a direct link to the PDF download from the Asus site: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF201/TF201_MANUAL_en_20120210.pdf

The batteries are not user replaceable and I would recommend sending them in if they need repair.

The charger does get quite warm, but should not be too hot to touch.

Finally, using the microSD card, you can use the stock "File Manager" app to transfer files between the internal and external storage. It will even work using drag and drop.