Asus Tablet "Obtaining IP Address"

Julie Rust

Sep 4, 2014
I am having problems trying to connect an Asus tablet to my Wifi it keeps saying "obtaining IP Address" or "Stronger connection needed". It has only stopped connecting recently after coming back from a holiday in Cornwall. Other devices (Apple and Andriod) connect to the network router.

I have been looking through and there is a lot of people with this problem with no real long term solution, can anyone help.

I have tried the following:
- Turning on and off the Wifi
- Rebooting the Router
- Forgetting the network on the Tablet (Both close and far away from the house)
- Physically changing the IP Address and changing it from dynamic to static (This worked when i connected it to my network but when it was returned to the owner it would not connect to theirs)
- Disconnecting another device on the same network to see if there is a restriction on the amount of devices
- Firmware is up to date
- Made sure the Wifi setting is on while the device is sleeping

A Factory reset is my last option however I have read that it works between 1 - 10 days. Then the connection is lost again.

Help please!!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

It seems you have covered virtually all the basses I would have suggested. If I understand something you said, you had a problem in your location and the owner's location. That's the stumper as I would have asked you to try a public hotspot. It still may not be a bad idea but it sounds as if you have the problem on 2 different routers/locations.

Doing a factory reset would only cause the problem to restiun for 2 reasons. Hardware failure is one. The other is that you have an app that is interfering with the WiFi now and it got installed again after the reset. Otherwise there is no reason for it to happen again, days or even weeks down the road.

Julie Rust

Sep 4, 2014
Welcome to the forum
That's the stumper as I would have asked you to try a public hotspot. It still may not be a bad idea but it sounds as if you have the problem on 2 different routers/locations.

When I changed the IP Address I had the tablet connected to my router, all was working fine. So I thought problem solved. However when it was returned it would not connect to their router.

Usually I would not do a factory reset because of the problems you stated. I had thought It could have been triggered by an app but it belongs to a 12 yr old and the have loads of apps.

Thanks for your help !!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you set a fixed IP for your router that info is unlikely to work for someone else's router. They would need to input the info for their system. (unless I missed something).