Asus TF101 - Love this tablet but are there any tricks when connecting to WiFi? "Obta

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
I have just upgraded from an Archos70 to an Asus TF101 and I am really enjoying the new device. Quite incredible for the money. I guess thats what you see when faster versions hit the market. Interestingly this is the first tablet where I have been happy to go off on business for a couple of days and leave the laptop behind.

I have spent a bit of time messing around and adapting it to my liking so it syncs to my workworld and links to home as well. I can see my wife's todo list from her home computer and my work tasks. The calendar is good too its got outlook appointments from work and social stuff from my wife via google. Dropbox is just great for taking a few docs with me on the road. So much stuff to enjoy on tablets and with 16 hours plus battery life I can work almost anywhere.

I am struggling a bit with WiFi though !

The TF101 connects faultlessly at home, at my friends place, to my HTC phone and even to Apple phones.

It struggles however to connect to one of my work networks and I don't understand why?

It looks like its connecting and the just starts and sits there saying "Obtaining IP address..." (but it never does)

If I look at the connection it says Link Speed -1Mbps (which seems a bit strange)

I have checked and double checked the WEP key and I have it right.

Has anyone else experienced this? Were you able to fix it?

Tablet has Android 3.2.1 and Wi-Fi version v5.2.65

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There are one of two reasons, but it is not your tablet. It is on the work Wireless Access Point. Unless you have the ability to change the settings, you may be out of luck. It is the either the inability to negotiate the AP handshake so it drops to minimum speed. This is usually the result of older equipment such as an 802.11b AP. Have you successfully connected a notebook PC to the Wireless connection. If so, look at the connection properties of the Wireless NIC. It may also give you a clue. Your TF101 is fine, but your work WLAN is not.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Thank You gurgle.

Yes I connect my laptop quite often when I am wandering around the building
Connection speed on my laptop is only 11.0 Mbps
Key Index is 1 - Is that important?

Could possibly change settings on Wireless Access Point if I knew what to request.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
That is a clear indicator the Access point is operating at 802.11b speeds. 11Mbit is B, any speed value up to 54Mbit is 802.11G, any speed higher is either 802.11i or 802.11N normally.
The TF101 does normally have good antenna, and you should get a connection. My other question was how far are you from the Access Point in your office. As a test, get as close as you can and verify the connection speed does not change. The channel used does not normally cause problems. They normally change it from a default of 6 if there is interference.
Here is a suggestion, Go to your favorite market available. I would suggest Amazon, but do not think it is available in AU. Search for WiFi Analyzer. It is free. It will help identify if the problem is signal strength or even other things.

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Downloaded app will test today thank you

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
Good advise so far. The wifi analyze app will tell you about the neworks that the transformer sees. Another thing you can try is manually setting up the connection.. You will need the ssid and password and the type of security; make sure you have the correct security type from your network administrator. Go to the settings on your transformer and select wireless. You will see all the connections you have made so far. If you see the one for our office, delete it. Then look at the bottom of the list and you will se an option to add a connection. Another thing that can be happening is that your work internet may not provide dynamic ip addresses or broadcast the ip. If the network does not broadcast the ip, you need the specific ip that the network is using. Many networks also have security that will not let anything connect to it withut authorization. I highly sugget you get with your network administrator, who should be able to tell you and firewalls your work network may have. Also wifi analyzer will tell you detailed information about your wifi connection.

Last edited:

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Yes its definately 802.11b and it's on channel 4,

Does that mean its too old for TF101?

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
OP

I have seen this many times with my laptops at home.. With my units the problem has always been the security protocol the LT was trying to set the network up in. ie if it normally sets up on wep I would have to try one of the other protocols. Even though I knew it was wep it would not set up under it. Changing it sometimes worked but not always. When it did not I would have to change the linux distro I was using to find one that would set up.
Try changing the SP to something different. You might luck out.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

rc211e

Oct 23, 2010
Good advise so far. The wifi analyze app will tell you about the neworks that the transformer sees. Another thing you can try is manually setting up the connection.. You will need the ssid and password and the type of security; make sure you have the correct security type from your network administrator. Go to the settings on your transformer and select wireless. You will see all the connections you have made so far. If you see the one for our office, delete it. Then look at the bottom of the list and you will se an option to add a connection. Another thing that can be happening is that your work internet may not provide dynamic ip addresses or broadcast the ip. If the network does not broadcast the ip, you need the specific ip that the network is using. Many networks also have security that will not let anything connect to it withut authorization. I highly sugget you get with your network administrator, who should be able to tell you and firewalls your work network may have. Also wifi analyzer will tell you detailed information about your wifi connection.

Thanks JT, Talked to IT they provide AP but do not support non standard devices. They said that the AP had no specific restrictions on it and I should be able to access with correct PW. Double checked PW with them and tried manual config - same result, WiFi analyser said channel 14 was a better choice I will see if they can change AP to 14.