ASUS TF300 Car Charger 15V/12V

budcurts

Jan 1, 2012
I have been shopping around for a car charger for the TF300 and noticed they come in two flavors. One states it has 12V out and the other has 15V out.:confused:

1. Will the 15V out just charge faster?
  2. Could the 15V out damage the tablet if used for a long time?
  3. Is the 12V a safer charge to leave the charge for several hours?

Any thoughts or experiences with these two charging output voltages would be appreciated.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The TF300 requires the 15v DC for a "proper" charge. That's what the stock charger outputs. 12v will work but very slowly.

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
How would I find a car charger for my ASUS 10" TF300 tablet? There is not one offered on the ASUS site that I could find.

paker

Apr 26, 2013
My tablet of less known brand comes with a wall charger, 19V DC 1.5 A, 30 pin connector just like ASUS, I mean the connector. No car charger is available anywhere. I wonder if I can use the ASUS car charger. Would someone kindly check if his car charger has all 30 metals pins in place? Or just a few? I can change wiring as far as all the pins are there. Thanks.

By the way, I doubt 12V and 15V will make a difference. Most likely ASUS has a 2-cell lithium battery. All it needs is 8.4V (4.2 V max per cell x 2). I am pretty sure the chip in the tablet will lower the supply voltage appropriately. $tablet charger.JPG

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Have you considered getting a power inverter instead of a car charger? You could then plug your tablet "home" charger into it, as well as whatever else you wanted to. e.g. laptop, phone, shaver etc. Amazon.com: power inverter for car

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
I went to Best Buy, where I had purchased the ASUS tablet, and the salesman recommended a dual charger by Rocketfish, but I notice it says 5v 3.1 amp, not 12v or 15v. Do I have the wrong charger? It has a usb conection for the tablet.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I went to Best Buy, where I had purchased the ASUS tablet, and the salesman recommended a dual charger by Rocketfish, but I notice it says 5v 3.1 amp, not 12v or 15v. Do I have the wrong charger? It has a usb conection for the tablet.

The BB rep didn't know which end was up. (not all that unusual), Get your money back.

paker

Apr 26, 2013
Have you considered getting a power inverter instead of a car charger? You could then plug your tablet "home" charger into it, as well as whatever else you wanted to. e.g. laptop, phone, shaver etc. Amazon.com: power inverter for car
Yes, somone recommended inverter. The tablet/car charger is for a family member and I am not comfortable putting 120V in her car. I prefer low voltage DC.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Yes, somone recommended inverter. The tablet/car charger is for a family member and I am not comfortable putting 120V in her car. I prefer low voltage DC.

There really is no problem associated with plugging in an inverter. It goes into the cig lighter socket. If you aren't using it you just unplug it if your have concerns.