ASUS TF300T - PC Connection (XP) suddenly not showing tablet files?

ricstudioc

Nov 30, 2012
Howdy -

Got this tablet a couple months back, one of the first things I did was put in an external sd card, hook it up to my PC (media device) and copy over all my MP3's and a few .pdf's into it. No problems at all, showed up in Windows browser and was a simple drag-and-drop affair. Easy peasy...

Recently decided to update the MP3's, hooked it up to the same PC (media device again) - Windows Explorer shows both the internal and external storage. Click on the external storage and the folders are there, BUT when I open a folder no files are displayed. They're there - music player sees them just fine, pdf's open just fine - but I can't see them, or add to/delete from the files that I just manipulated a few weeks back. And any attempt to just drop new files into the folders anyway are met with a message like "this device does not support this file type", when obviously it does.

Following a search 'round these parts I D/L'd and install the whole "ASUS Sync" thingie (which I didn't need the first time around, and don't much care for) - no change whatever.

So - all of a sudden I can't seem to do simple file transfers between my PC and tablet, and have no idea what's changed. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!!

Ric

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for the problem you're having.

It "almost" sounds as if something changed in your PC, but that's a really tough call. In settings on your TF, go to storage and tap the 3 squares upper left Tap USB. You should see MTP and PTP The MTP should be checked. If not, check it. If it is then uncheck it and restart your TF. If it still doesn't work, go back and check MTP again. You might also want to see if PTP checked makes a difference.

You also, if you haven't done it, do a hard reset, but try the other things first.

ricstudioc

Nov 30, 2012
Howdy Leeshor -

Thanks for the input - tried switching between MTP/PTP with no success (haven't tried the hard reset yet, but will). BUT here's another little tidbit/clue:

After switching back to MTP (PTP would show only the internal storage locations DCIM and Pictures, still no view of their contents, nor of the external card...) and getting the same results, I decided to try something. I grabbed a folder on the PC (one of the mp3 albums I wanted to update the TF with) and dragged it to the Music Library folder I had created on the microSD card. The PC went thru the "copy" status bar thingie, and when I clicked on the Library folder - there it was!! As well as the contents, clear as day. But ONLY that one folder, still no sign of the (100 or more) other albums that I know are there. But hold on - there's a kicker:

I disconnected the TF, reconnected it - once again it shows up in Explorer as two different storage locations - open up the external storage and click on the Music Library folder.... Nothing there!! Just 30 seconds ago I could see and access that folder, now it doesn't appear at all. Stranger and stranger......

I WILL try the hard reset, as well as connecting the TF to a couple other PC's available to me, and get back with any results. But this is hitting about 9.5 on my weird-s%&t-o-meter right now.....

Again, many thanks for the input!! Back in a while.

Ric

ricstudioc

Nov 30, 2012
OK - not "problem solved", but perhaps "workaround I can live with until I figure out what the heck's going on".

Attached the TF to the other PC running in the house - a home built music workstation (DAW) that runs my studio on XP, not too surprised when it came back with "device may not be properly installed" as this PC is not connected to the internet and couldn't find drivers for it.

I then hooked it up to my laptop (Samsung RV511 running Windows7), which rather obviously shot out and found what it needed, told me everything was good to go - and it is!! All folders accessible, all files visible and manipulable.

SO - I still have no idea what the issue is on the main PC (even less so given the behavior noted in my second post), but given how infrequently I need to "hard transfer" stuff to the tablet I can live - for now - with using the lappy as an intermediary. Heck, while typing this I dumped an mp4 I wanted on the TF onto a thumb drive from the main PC, stuck it into another usb slot on the lappy, and dropped it right onto the TF. Once again - easy peasy.

I will certainly continue to try and find a solution to the main PC issue - heck, it saw the files once upon a time, and there has to be a reason for the current behavior. But for the moment I can live with routing files through the laptop if that's what it takes.

Ric

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I suspected the PC as the problem but nobody I know on the forums who have that problem has been able to narrow it down. It's possibly an anti virus program, firewall or some other esoteric program on the system.