Asus Transformer Prime Lock-up/Freeze Issue - with a twist...

echofire

Dec 29, 2011
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to ask the community if they had run across this particular problem with the TF201. I tried searching for a similar thread before posting but hadn't come across anything addressing the same scenario, so sorry if I missed it and this is the wrong place to post.

So here's the situation, I have a TF201 64GB with serial starting BCOKAS and I do love this tablet. I have not had the Wifi issues previously reported or the GPS issues, though I do see a bar drop in the wifi strength sometimes, overall its strong. What I am having is the lock-up issue that everyone else is having, with one slight addition, hence the new thread. I will see a reboot an irregular intervals, between 2 mins and 6 hours. The difference being every couple of freeze-ups, the tablet will not only freeze up - but start screaming out this god awful noise and will not stop for 15 - 20 seconds until I can force a restart. This occurs during no particular period or operation of any particular program. One night, I woke up to it deciding to make this noise, while it was just sitting there on the charger. I have looked on the XDA-Development and other threads, but have found only two others experiencing or mentioning similar issues. The only comment on those has been to turn off GPS - though none of them followed up to see if that actually worked. I am trying this today - and will update this thread with results over the next 24 hours. In the meantime I want to ask the community, has anyone experienced this same scenario? It's driving me a little crazy. I am afraid to take the pad into meetings at work, or even to bed as I don't want to wake my fiance who has to get up early for work.

Any solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I could almost deal with the standard reboots until Asus pushes out its supposed fix, but the scream has to stop. Again, I apologize if this is somehow a repeat thread. Thanks again everyone.

echofire

Dec 29, 2011
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to ask the community if they had run across this particular problem with the TF201. I tried searching for a similar thread before posting but hadn't come across anything addressing the same scenario, so sorry if I missed it and this is the wrong place to post.

So here's the situation, I have a TF201 64GB with serial starting BCOKAS and I do love this tablet. I have not had the Wifi issues previously reported or the GPS issues, though I do see a bar drop in the wifi strength sometimes, overall its strong. What I am having is the lock-up issue that everyone else is having, with one slight addition, hence the new thread. I will see a reboot an irregular intervals, between 2 mins and 6 hours. The difference being every couple of freeze-ups, the tablet will not only freeze up - but start screaming out this god awful noise and will not stop for 15 - 20 seconds until I can force a restart. This occurs during no particular period or operation of any particular program. One night, I woke up to it deciding to make this noise, while it was just sitting there on the charger. I have looked on the XDA-Development and other threads, but have found only two others experiencing or mentioning similar issues. The only comment on those has been to turn off GPS - though none of them followed up to see if that actually worked. I am trying this today - and will update this thread with results over the next 24 hours. In the meantime I want to ask the community, has anyone experienced this same scenario? It's driving me a little crazy. I am afraid to take the pad into meetings at work, or even to bed as I don't want to wake my fiance who has to get up early for work.

Any solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I could almost deal with the standard reboots until Asus pushes out its supposed fix, but the scream has to stop. Again, I apologize if this is somehow a repeat thread. Thanks again everyone.

Well - roughly 48 hrs after shutting off the GPS, I've experienced two freeze-ups, the second of which was one of the screamers...ugh and now there's supposedly another Prime on the way and Asus claiming nothing is wrong in the news...to say I'm not happy is an understatement, but I really do like the tablet, now if they could just make it stable, I would be truly happy. Anyone have any other solutions or ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

echofire

Dec 29, 2011
Well - roughly 48 hrs after shutting off the GPS, I've experienced two freeze-ups, the second of which was one of the screamers...ugh and now there's supposedly another Prime on the way and Asus claiming nothing is wrong in the news...to say I'm not happy is an understatement, but I really do like the tablet, now if they could just make it stable, I would be truly happy. Anyone have any other solutions or ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check that...a mere 5 mins later I got another screaming lockup...ugh.

PrimeUser

Feb 2, 2012
Honestly, send the device back for service, doesn't sound like a good unit at all! :(

Cheers

is_su77

Feb 13, 2012
I waited two months for this and even after that had to search five places to get it. It was running great till I did an upgrade to 4.0.3. After that it was bad. freezing after 5 mins. doesn't mater what I was doing. Playing a video or angry birds or even looking at setting. I called Asus customer support. They told me to do hardware reset. tried that to no avail. He says please return it back to where you bought it from or send it back to us. Going to return to future shop tomorrow.

It is a nice piece of technology but now I am thinking about waiting for TF700T (ASUS announces Eee Pad Memo and upgraded Transformer Prime TF700T) which is set to release in 2012 Q2.

Let's hope Asus has learned from Transformer Prime issues and will not repeat it with TF700T.

Ciao.