asus vs Toshiba

JeepFreak81

Dec 5, 2011
ok everyone so ive been on here researching which 10" tablet is the right one for me. i had it down to the asus transformer, toshiba thrive, or maybe the sony tablet s. was thinking that when i got my tax returns i would get the thrive. however my wife just gave me my xmas present early and it is the brown asus eee transformer. she gave it to me early in case i wanted to return it for the thrive. any arguments for sending this back for the thrive? let me know!!!

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Why don't you give it a shot for a couple of days and see how you like it? Since is already there take it for a spin. Personally I think you already have the best choice but, what works for me or necessarily works for you. You can always change your mind...

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

TabletNewb

Dec 4, 2011
I would imagine they are pretty much the same. Go with whichever one you can get the best deal on. The Toshiba will probably have the better screen since it is a TV brand, but the Asus has the keyboard that adds battery life and ports.

Last edited:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I bought both the transformer and the thrive on the Best Buy BF sale. The transformer is the 16 GB model and the thrive is the 8 GB model. As for the processor, they are the same Tegra 2 dual core chip. I kept the transformer for myself and the thrive went to my wife. After setting both of them up, here is my initial impressions of them.

Transformer
- More memory which is a plus, especially since Honeycomb does not allow for apps to be moved to, and run off of the sd card
- Accessory hard keyboard available, which makes it essentially a netbook, although it does add to the weight and makes it twice as thick, a plus though is that the keyboard also includes a battery so it will almost double your battery life
- Includes Polaris, which allows you to view and edit word documents, spreadsheets, and powerpoint presentations
- The browser does have the optional setting where you can have the browser string set to be either a computer, tablet, or phone (which will determine whether the website you are accessing is the full site or a mobile optimized version, this setting does not appear on the Thrive
- what is really annoying about the Transformer is that the power plug resides at the bottom edge of the tablet (when held landscape), this accomodates being plugged into the keyboard, but this also means that if you are not using the keyboard, and you have it plugged it, you cannot "prop" it up in landscape mode
- the Transformer appears to be more "business-like", no games were preloaded
- while thinner than the Thrive, the Transformer feels heavier as well (although according to the specs, the Transformer is actually lighter than the Thrive).

Thrive
- the Thrive has a removable battery, so you can extend your battery life by purchasing a second battery
- the Thrive is thicker than the Transformer, but it does have a full size USB port
- the Thrive will also accomodate a full size SD card, if you're using microSD, you will need the adapter
- the Thrive has a number of card games preloaded and there is also a demo racing game
- you can customize the Thrive to be in different colors as there is an interchangeable back (Best Buy is currently clearing out the blue and silver color for $5 or so each)

These are just a few comments off the top of my head.

Last edited:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I would imagine they are pretty much the same. The Acer has a flash for the camera, as well as a mini and fullsize USB port. The Toshiba probably has a better screen and graphics being a TV brand, but it only has fullsize USB. Pretty much all the other specs are the same including Android 3.1 on both. If it were up to me, I would go with whichever one you can get a good deal on (Acer is most likely cheaper, and you already own it).

The Acer has a flash, but the OP was asking about the Asus. The Asus does not have a flash for the camera. Just remembered.......

The stock camera app for the Toshiba has a few more options than the Asus (specifically it adds certain special effects features). They're both pretty crappy in low light, but while both has a 5 MP rear camera, the front facing camera on the Thrive is 2 MP and the front facing camera on the Transformer is 1.3 MP.

TabletNewb

Dec 4, 2011
The Acer has a flash, but the OP was asking about the Asus. The Asus does not have a flash for the camera. Just remembered.......

The stock camera app for the Toshiba has a few more options than the Asus (specifically it adds certain special effects features). They're both pretty crappy in low light, but while both has a 5 MP rear camera, the front facing camera on the Thrive is 2 MP and the front facing camera on the Transformer is 1.3 MP.

You quoted me before I could edit my post. :) I thought I read Acer at first. My bad.

JeepFreak81

Dec 5, 2011
thanks for the info....think i'll keep the transformer but will give it a couple days to play

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
The Asus Transformer has much better ergonomics. The Toshiba Thrive does have a replaceable battery, but its ergonomics are a bit awkward. I also noticed a slight speed advantage with the Asus Transformer, as apposed to the Thrive.