Attempting to download ebook

edalsie

Aug 6, 2012
I'm trying to transload an ebook into my Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2.7 ... when I attached my Nook via USB, the Adobe Digital Editions software instantly recognized it. When I attach my Tablet via USB, it just sits there and stares at me... no recognition of the Tablet. How do I move a, for instance, Google ebook onto my Samsung Tablet?

jazzzluver

Aug 2, 2012
I use my USB connection to "sideload" the ebook (epub) into a folder like my NOOK MyDocuments folder. I used KIES to move the file but you can also use windows explorer. I then can use my Nook app to read the book. If you don't have the NOOK app then look for another free app that reads epubs. I think the Kindle one does this but have not tried it. If you save the epub into your extSD memory, then I would copy/paste the one you want to read
into the SD memory before trying to open it.

Jim

edalsie

Aug 6, 2012
Thank you Jim,
I tried sideloading but keep coming up with a message telling me I can't open the book because it is not authorized or allowed (I don't have the working in front of me) by ADE -- Adobe Digital Editions -- which won't recognize my Galaxy 2.7!
One book is 'protected' I'm pretty certain, but the other is a public domain book -- which I got through connections with ADE. The protected book I can understand, the public domain book bothers me. I'll look for it under Gutenberg I guess and try again.

The book I wanted to purchase and download worked through Google Play Books. There it synced with my tablet just fine. I also opened it in ADE and sent it to my wife's Nook with no problems.

So my next question is ... how do I get Adobe Digital Editions to recognize my Galaxy Tablet? That is probably a question for Adobe.

Thanks for the lead... I hadn't tried "My Documents" under Nook previously. At least they showed up even if I couldn't read them.

By the way, I have Nook, Google Play Books and Amazon Kindle... I thought I'd be ready for anything! Surprise.

Allen

jazzzluver

Aug 2, 2012
Allen,
I think the Nook app on the tablet has some software that allows Adobe Digital Reader docs to be accepted even if they are in the "My Files" folder. I can sideload an epub (Night Soldiers) from my PC into the tablet and open it in the Nook app. I can also read it on my PC using ADR. But this epub did not come from BN.
I just found it and borrowed it from someone who shared their books.

jim

edalsie

Aug 6, 2012
Jazzzluver & Stringrazor,
I don't seem to have any luck. I've tried to sideload without much luck; I've downloaded Calibre with a few plug-ins... I've not been successful. I think I need to step back for a bit and try again later. I'm missing a step or something, somewhere. I appreciate your help! I'll figure it out one of these days and wonder why I had problems.

edalsie

Aug 6, 2012
I'm not sure what your response means... "Since the Ainol Flame"... another tablet, but the three graphics/pictures/whatever failed to appear.

Stringrazor

May 3, 2012
IMHO, publishers have intentionally made moving ebooks between devices difficult. What you need is the free Calibre app and possibly this Plugin (see method #3). Calibre can copy an ebook from/to almost any format. I use the Moon Reader app on my Android devices.

1) load calibre
2) connect the nook
3) copy the book(s) you want from the nook to the PC via Calibre
4) use the method 3 link I provided above to remove the DRM from the books
5) change them to epub format if necessary using Calibre
6) connect the GalaxyTab to the PC
7) if Calibre recognizes it, copy over the epubs you just processed via Calibre. If not, use any file transfer method (like ES File MGR) to copy the epubs to the Galaxy. Anywhere is fine. I suggest making an EBOOK dir.
8) load Moon Reader from Google Play
9) use Moon Reader to load your epub files

There are other ways to do this I'm sure, possible using the nook reader. I'm not familiar with the Nook or Nook reader so I don't know of you even have to remove the DRM. I find this method easiest since I can put books on any device that has a generic ebub reader app and don't have to worry about syncing accounts.

edalsie

Aug 6, 2012
Stringrazor...
I finally had a chance to retry this... thanks for the step-by-step directions. I was able to strip the DRM off three books so I could move them to my device of choice. I hadn't followed method 3 accurately... after a re-installation, all is well. Thank you for all your help.
Allen

mousey

Mar 28, 2013
IMHO, publishers have intentionally made moving ebooks between devices difficult. What you need is the free Calibre app and possibly this Plugin (see method #3). Calibre can copy an ebook from/to almost any format. I use the Moon Reader app on my Android devices.

You mention you use Moon Reader, and so do I. I use the free version. Can you tell me how I can transfer a book in epub format that I have on my USB stick and save it to Moon+ Reader on my tablet? While I have the USB plugged in to the tablet I can read the book, but once it's removed , the book disappears. How do I actually save or import the book to the Moon Reader? Thanks for your help,
Mousey

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Use a file manager, I prefer the free ES File Explorer, and copy the epub file to either your internal storage or an installed sd card. I create a folder, if it doesn't already exist, named Books in the root folder and put all my books there. Moon reader is probably just opening the file from the external device, which is a nice feature but when you remove the storage Moon Reader can no longer access it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1