Audio Input for recording?

uptownvideo

Jul 21, 2011
Is there a way to record music on the Acer tablet? I only see a headphone jack and usb. What I am trying to do is record serius music channels off my sat receiver. My receiver has rca jacks which I could convert to mini if the headphone jack was also an input. I also have a line level to mic level adapter if that is a mic level input. Thank you for any help.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Is there a way to record music on the Acer tablet? I only see a headphone jack and usb. What I am trying to do is record serius music channels off my sat receiver. My receiver has rca jacks which I could convert to mini if the headphone jack was also an input. I also have a line level to mic level adapter if that is a mic level input. Thank you for any help.

There are adapters that convert various inputs to mic level signals, and most importantly, have the necessary 4-ring Smartphone plug. One is this: Amazon.com: TASCAM iXZ Mic / Instrument input for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch: Musical Instruments, which specifies "guitar/line input", but I'm not guaranteeing that's what you want. It's just an example.

So... yes, it allows recording music from a Sirius radio, or any radio with a line out. You weren't specific with your question, so I probably should throw this out there:
The mic input is monophonic. You can record music from another source (at extra expense, and with questionable quality), but not in stereo.

The iPhone has a dock connector that allows specialized stereo microphones, so maybe the A500 dock's connection could also support something like that, but I've never seen anything that suggests it could. Some future update could support stereo USB or bluetooth inputs. Nothing yet, sorry.

[EDIT]: Once you get some kind of stereo input, you'll need a stereo audio recording App. But if mono is fine, it's possible to patch something together.

Last edited:

uptownvideo

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Is the headphone jack also a mono mic like most cell phones are? I am interested in stereo recording. If that is the case then I will look for a usb to rca audio adapter.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010

That input is monophonic.
Also, Sirius puts some kind of funky compression on their streams, so between the two your recordings might not be as useful as you are imagining.

Batchman

May 14, 2011
uptownvideo said:

Do you have a PC? I think it would be much easier to record the audio to PC using a program like Audacity, and then just transfer the files to the A500. I'm currently doing that with some old cassettes that have been sitting in the basement for years.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
That input is monophonic.
Also, Sirius puts some kind of funky compression on their streams, so between the two your recordings might not be as useful as you are imagining.

Sirius/XM deliberately makes it difficult (and pointless) to rip music, go figure :p. My radio records talk shows (and saves the last 5), and sometimes I briefly wish there was a way to save a small bit, but then think better of it (due to that being such a chore).

Before my new radio, I had a VCR-style timed sound recorder on my PC, ran the signal to that, and recorded shows to sound files. Then the files are portable to most any device. And they're in stereo.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Is the headphone jack also a mono mic like most cell phones are? I am interested in stereo recording. If that is the case then I will look for a usb to rca audio adapter.
Yes, the headphone jack is also a mic input. Use the four-ring "iPhone" or "Smartphone" headsets, and they work with Skype or video/audio Apps. It's slightly possible that there will someday be support for a stereo USB adapter for audio recording.