Aurora ICS 4.0.3 Mobiz V.2 Modified to Work on Coby 7042 and 8042

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
By all means, please make spending time with your family your first priority! I do construction as well and am glad that I haven't had to work out of town lately. I got this tablet to have a lower priority device that I can learn on without the learning curve being so stiff. If you can point me towards learning resources, that is at least as valuable to me as being spoonfed solutions. It is a shame that some people don't seem to realize how much time and effort it takes to accomplish this.

Thanks again.

There really is no place to tell you where to go to get info on this as I am the only dev to do this, no other dev that I know of run their tablets from sdcard in this manner. Anyway what is happening is google's vold.fstab doesn't understand a partitioned sdcard, so it changes the mount point to the last part of the partition name in this case 179_1. so mount point is now /mnt/extsd/179_1 instead of /mnt/extsd/ what we can do manually is mount sdcard directly.

mount -o noatime,utf8 -t vfat /dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard

you need to first have your vold.fstab changed so it mount internal sdcard as /mnt/extsd

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto /devices/virtual/block/nandi
dev_mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmchost /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host

what needs to be done is have the mount script ran on boot

perhaps like

#!/system/bin/sh

mount -o noatime,utf8 -t vfat /dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard

this will give you something to work on.

ok I think i got it flash this via cwm. http://www.mediafire.com/?6eewj27r0rj8918

after reboot what a few minutes then open terminal

adb shell

ls /sdcard/

works for me there is a few minute delay after tablet boots before sdcard is mounted the way we want.

root@android:/ # mount
rootfs / rootfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:64 /mnt/extsd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard/179_1 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/179_1/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,noatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
root@android:/ #

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Guys I ask everyone to please stop feeding this troll ziggyzag, just report his posts to mod and ignore him, he will either be banned or fade away, he feeds on comments, if he is ignored he will starve and move on to troll some where else.

Aug 8, 2012
There really is no place to tell you where to go to get info on this as I am the only dev to do this, no other dev that I know of run their tablets from sdcard in this manner. Anyway what is happening is google's vold.fstab doesn't understand a partitioned sdcard, so it changes the mount point to the last part of the partition name in this case 179_1. so mount point is now /mnt/extsd/179_1 instead of /mnt/extsd/ what we can do manually is mount sdcard directly.

mount -o noatime,utf8 -t vfat /dev/block//vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard

you need to first have your vold.fstab changed so it mount internal sdcard as /mnt/extsd

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto /devices/virtual/block/nandi
dev_mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmchost /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host

what needs to be done is have the mount script ran on boot

perhaps like

#!/system/bin/sh

mount -o noatime,utf8 -t vfat /dev/block//vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard

this will give you something to work on.

ok I think i got it flash this via cwm. http://www.mediafire.com/?xww9ayl15bygiyx

after reboot what a few minutes then open terminal

adb shell

ls /sdcard/

works for me there is a few minute delay after tablet boots before sdcard is mounted the way we want.

root@android:/ # mount
rootfs / rootfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,noatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:64 /mnt/extsd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard/179_1 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/179_1/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,noatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
root@android:/ #

Thank you! I look forward to trying this after work tonight. Have a great weekend.

Aug 8, 2012
Alright, first off. Thank you. I was able to easily mount the partition as sd manually with these instructions. I did have problems getting it to automount with the init.d script.

To try to troubleshoot I:
1. reinstalled the rom from scratch
2. changed the volds.fstab
3. flashed the init.d support zip in the op then rebooted
4. flashed the ds_mount.zip and rebooted
5. I checked and still no dice, same for several reboots after checking file permissions.
6. I used the App "S Manager" to run the mount script on boot.
7. Rebooted and everything mounted fine.

Since then, I have tried to look into why the init.d scripts didn't work. I created a test script (that I had seen in the forums for my phone) and it didn't work. Then, using Root Explorer, I looked at the 7042_init.d_support.zip. I looked for /system/etc/init.d/test.text and was unable to find anything. Do you have any suggestions for getting the init.d working on boot?

I am up and running via SManager, so there is no urgency, but I am trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks again for all of your help.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
hello guys, is possible the firmware aurora ics 4.0.4, run in a coby 7042?

Only if you know what are you doing, you could brick your tablet, but yes you could use it with modifications.

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
@drifting will look into it, currently I am looking into porting CWM 9 and CWM 10,

oh' please say you will try and port/build it for the 9742....please!!!!!!!!!!

ps I know eta's kill puppies, but have you had an opportunity to check what mods would be needed to run this rom on the 9742? or should i just flash it and pand post back...logcats

reddragon72

Jun 6, 2012
I would think that CM or AOSP will break HDMI. I have an Epic Touch 4G and before that the Galaxy Vibrant and CM on both phones killed HDMI output.

I use HDMI so that is no good for me.

I do however have an odd question related to this. Since my tablet has a dead screen is there any way to make the HDMI port the primary screen? I am thinking that since the Coby 7042 has the same setup as MK802 Android 40 min PC that there must be some way to force the HDMI port as the primary port.

Aug 8, 2012
I wonder if it would affect the tablet the same way since it has a dedicated hdmi port. I have a E4GT as well, but have never gotten the usb to hdmi adapter.

Aug 8, 2012
Okay, that makes sense. I am surprised that the CM development team have not included that into their build. I am not likely to use the hdmi port anyway, so it isn't a game changer for me.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't have hdmi cable or TV, lol I have read all info I could find on CM 10. I think I can port it tomorrow unless wifi is as hard to port for our device as people are reporting. Coby wifi is completely different then any other allwinner that I have seen. This could be the deal breaker lol. Cost nothing to try.