Auto-rotate disables with each reboot

gmikemack

Apr 20, 2012
I have a Le Pan II. And, I noticed this issue shortly after installing MX Player (though I am not certain it is related to that app). Now, when I power on the tablet auto-rotate is disabled (locked in landscape). I enable it and it works fine. Next time I power down & up, it is disabled again. MX Player had a default "landscape rotation" and that is where my Le Pan was "sticking". I upgraded MX Player, switched that app’s default to auto-rotate, power cycled the Le Pan and booted to a disabled auto-rotate, as before. I uninstalled MX player with no improved results. I reset the tablet to factory (deleting even SD card data) and it still boots disabled but locks in the booted orientation. I assume one of the start-up Linux files has been messed with by “an app” (not to mention the suspects name again), but I haven't got “permission” to look at the start-up files. Anyone have any ideas on how I might correct this?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Interesting that a factory reset didn't clear the issue. You can go to Settings>Applications and clear the data for MX Player. You can also use an app like Titanium Backup to do this. Try also clearing Google Framework. You can try this for other apps you suspect too since it sounds like you are willing to lose app data to fix the issue. MX might have been coincidental to the timing and it is possible that another app is locking the rotation.

gmikemack

Apr 20, 2012
Thanks, I did try clearing MX player data, upgraded it, changed its rotation default, uninstalled it, and then wiped out everything on the tablet with a factory restore. After the factory restore the tablet booted to the new user screen in a locked rotation position. And, I can actually see the point where auto-rotation is locked during the power up, so this must be start-up file related issue - but all that was on the tablet at that point was factory (supposedly). PS - what do you mean by clear Google Framework? Would that be handled by the restore, or is there a specific action I can take?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was suggesting manually clearing since the factory reset doesn't appear to have worked. It should have wiped everything as you suggest but doesn't seem to have done so. Just to be sure, is there a hardware lock screen button that you may have switched? Is it possible that even if this is in the correct position it isn't? In other words maybe a faulty hardware switch that you can slide back and forth a couple of times and see if it allows the rotation.

Also try powering down and then rotating the tablet all around and then powering back up to see it the sensor needed to be jostled.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
Is the screen rotation switch slid to the left? left is auto rotate right is locked. If it is set to the right it could be locking on start up.

gmikemack

Apr 20, 2012
There is no hardware switch for auto-rotate on this device. And when I power it on, the software switch is unchecked or off to the right (depending on where you look). When I check it or slide it left, auto-rotate then works fine. Problem is, if I completely shut down and then power up again it starts up with the software switch unchecked (or off to the right). I turn it back on, and all is fine. Not a huge catastrophe... more of a nuisance. I sent a note off to the MX Player developer, because I strongly suspect that app modified a boot file that I can not access without root privileges (one that was not re-copied to a default state during a Factory Restore). But heck, I really don't know that much about Android / Linux - thus my post.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
yes there is an auto rotate switch. it is between the volume rocker and the power button on the top. It is a slider. Slide to the left auto rotate enabled. slide to right. Auto rotate locked. If you have a Le Pan I or II it is there. I bet that is your problem. You can check your manual which is located in your app drawer under help. I find I need to let the notification at the bottom complete and disappear before I turn the device. Otherwise it does not lock on occasion.

Last edited:

gmikemack

Apr 20, 2012
Johna2u... OK Now I feel like a real dope. Those buttons are so well hidden, I had no idea. I don't have the tablet at hand... but I assume that is my issue. Thank you!