Autonooter 3, or Nook problems. I need help

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Two days ago I used autonooter 3.0.0 to try to root my NC 1.1.0. It would not boot up or turn on at all. Yesterday when I got home from work, I plugged it into my PC and was told battery was too low to boot. I charged it to 100%, then it booted up. I checked, and to my surprise I was still on version 1.1.0. So, it was not bricked.

Last night I tried autonooter 3.0.0 again....same results. My NC won't turn on...and when I plug it into my PC. I get a "RNDIS\Ethernet Gadget" found message, then the "Found new Hardware Wizard" opens up.

Is my sd card flaky, is the card not properly seated in the NC, or is the NC card slot bad? I tried booting a CWR card to restore my NC, but get the same messages.

I will check the status of my Nook when I get home from work today and hope the battery drained, so that after a re-charge I will be back in 1.1.0. Then, I plan to take it back to B&N for an exchange........unless someone knows what my problem really is.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Two days ago I used autonooter 3.0.0 to try to root my NC 1.1.0. It would not boot up or turn on at all. Yesterday when I got home from work, I plugged it into my PC and was told battery was too low to boot. I charged it to 100%, then it booted up. I checked, and to my surprise I was still on version 1.1.0. So, it was not bricked.

Last night I tried autonooter 3.0.0 again....same results. My NC won't turn on...and when I plug it into my PC. I get a "RNDIS\Ethernet Gadget" found message, then the "Found new Hardware Wizard" opens up.

Is my sd card flaky, is the card not properly seated in the NC, or is the NC card slot bad? I tried booting a CWR card to restore my NC, but get the same messages.

I will check the status of my Nook when I get home from work today and hope the battery drained, so that after a re-charge I will be back in 1.1.0. Then, I plan to take it back to B&N for an exchange........unless someone knows what my problem really is.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Rooting does not change your software only unlocks it makes your an administrator over it. After rooting you will still be on b&n software 1.1.

-Can you give more detail?
So far all I got was you tried to root, had low power, and tried to root again.
-What exactly did you use?
-Did you properly write the autonooter 3.0 image to your sd card?
-What size is your SD card after writing?
-Did the autonooter 3.0 finish and boot to homescreen?
-Did you see the welcome screen?
-After getting to homescreen, did you remove your sd card?
-Are you trying to turn the NC on while plugged up?

Answering these questions will help us in trying to help you.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Welcome to the forum. :)

Rooting does not change your software only unlocks it makes your an administrator over it. After rooting you will still be on b&n software 1.1.

-Can you give more detail?
So far all I got was you tried to root, had low power, and tried to root again.
-What exactly did you use?
-Did you properly write the autonooter 3.0 image to your sd card?
-What size is your SD card after writing?
-Did the autonooter 3.0 finish and boot to homescreen?
-Did you see the welcome screen?
-After getting to homescreen, did you remove your sd card?
-Are you trying to turn the NC on while plugged up?

Answering these questions will help us in trying to help you.

Thanks for your reply. I am new to NC and new to android, but am technical and PC savy.
I run win xp pro sp3

My NC was on 1.0.1 when purchase last Saturday. I manually updated it to 1.1.0....no problems there.
Sunday, I wrote Autonooter 3.0.0 to a 4GB PNY MicroSD HC Card.
Turned NC OFF, inserted sd card, plugged NC into PC
Black screen, no boot up, waited 10 minutes, then unplugged NC from PC.
It would NOT turn on, no-how, no-way NADA.

Monday, plugged NC into PC. Got low battery message on NV. Unplugged and put on charger.
After 100% charge, NC turned on, and was still at v1.1.0
Monday night tried Autonooter 3 again.....got same results. NC won't turn on.

Am at a loss to know what is going on. Hopefully, when I get home tody, I will be able to turn NC on.
If so, what was causing these problems? My speculation are:
Bad SD card, Bad SD card slot on NC, Bad NC, Card not seated properly in NC, Bad Autonooter 3?
Or, operator error??

If you need more info, please ask. Thanks again, Joe

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
No problem, don't have to be extremely technical for root. Thanks for more detail, the more detail the better.

Here is you problem:
Turned NC OFF, inserted sd card, plugged NC into PC
Black screen, no boot up, waited 10 minutes, then unplugged NC from PC.
It would NOT turn on, no-how, no-way NADA.

In BOLD shouldn't have happened.

The proper sequence should have been:
-turn off
-insert sd card with autonooter written image
-plug up your usb to your pc, then to your NC
-Screen will remain black for about 5-6 minutes
-Then your NC will boot, you will see a android or start up boot sequence
-Once booted you will see a welcome screen, where it ask you to press the middle of the screen
-Then you skip a few menus and continue on to the your homescreen.
-Once on homescreen, then you unplug
-Then either unmount the sd card and take it out or turn the NC off and take the sd card out.

Since this sequence didn't happen for you, only a few things come to mind:
1. the autonooter image was not written properly on your sd card
2. the autonooter was written properly and the root procedure did not finish (you unplugged too quick)
3. combo of 1, 2 and you left your sd card inserted in your NC, which if left in, will not allow you to turn the device on.

Last edited:

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Before trying to root, I wsa having saome difficulty with the sd card and\or the sd card locking into place in the NC. The only way I knew for sure that the NC was reading it was to go to settings, Nook info, and read about the sd card. Sometimes it was show as available, and sometimes not. That's why I think it might ne the card slot or the Nook itself.

I could see all the files on the sd card in windows explorer after autonooter 3 was wriiten to the card.

NOW, the important issue is how to get the NC to turn on !! Then, if all is ok and back to 1.1.0, I can try to decide to return it, exchange it, or keep it. I'm still in my 14 day window.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well your NC should be fine; don't think you did any software damage. Take you sd card out and it should boot normally. Like I said, it will not boot with a autonooter written sd card inserted.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
SD card has been out of the NC since last nights failure to root. NC will not turn on! I will check status of NC when I get home from work and post results. Thanks again for your assistance.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
I am prepared to do the recovery, IF I can get the NC to turn on, and if it is not back to v 1.1.0 already. Thanks for the suggestions.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I really don't think you have much of an issue and don't think you need to do the long sd card recovery route. Charge up via wall changer. But that just my 2 cents.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
^ Oh yes, sorry. Right, the battery could just be drained. Try charging first.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Yes, that seems to be what happened the 1st time I tried Autonooter 3. But, yesterday, the NC was at 100% charge when I tried
Autonooter 3 again. Immediately thereafter it would not turn on. AND, the NC was NOT recognized by windows explorer with the sd card in or out. Bummer!

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Ok, I'm home from work and here is the latest news. My NC turned on right away with no issues at all.

I'm back to v 1.1.0

I've formatted mt sd card with the NC.

Will start a new thread later tonight about trying a different want to root my NC

Thanks to all for trying to help me.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Here are the current processes to root your device NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

If you want to root a different way than Autonooter 3, you can try the Autnooter for 1.0.1, which works fine. But you will need to roll your device back to 1.0>Erase and de-register your device>re-register with B&N>sideload the 1.0.1 update (NOT 1.1)>then root using autonooter 2.12.25

From there (once all 1.0.1 rooted) you can install clockwork recovery and install the 1.1 rom if you want to.