Autonooter 3, or Nook problems. I need help

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
That is one approach I am considering. Another choice is to boot from my sd card. This would do a few things for my confidence:
Prove the sd card is good. Prove the Nook card slot is good. Prove the card is seated properly. And prove no Operator Error.
And, it should allow me to see what Android and the Marketplace is all about. I have an iPod touch, but no Android cell phone.

If you think this a good idea, what version should I write to the card? I do not want to revert back to 1.0.0 if at all possible.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Somewhere I heard that the most recent version of WinImage might cause problems with Autonooter 3. Maybe on the Unlocker video???
I am using version 8.50. Anyway, he suggested using an older version. Is this a valid statement? If so, what version should I be using?

I also am using xp pro sp3. Should I use my wife's Win 7 laptop to write the sd card?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Somewhere I heard that the most recent version of WinImage might cause problems with Autonooter 3. Maybe on the Unlocker video???
I am using version 8.50. Anyway, he suggested using an older version. Is this a valid statement? If so, what version should I be using?

I also am using xp pro sp3. Should I use my wife's Win 7 laptop to write the sd card?

I am a little confused.Where is your Nook at right now, are you on 1.1 unrooted? Is it booting up correctly now? Let us know the status of your Nook, and I then we can help a little further. I think rolling the device back, to 1.0 and sideloading the 1.0.1 update and using autonooter 2 might be easier process. I am not sure of the problems with Autonooter 3 and WinImage, because I havent used a nooter past 2.12.25, and I use a Mac last time I rooted.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You could also try using win32diskimager...

the version i am running is :win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.2-r23-win32

but I have used both successfully.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks Vic. You used Autonooter 3 correct? What do you recommend...rooting with autonooter 2 and loading the 1.1 rom or just straight rooting with autonooter 3. Have you experienced any clockwork bugs that make autonooter 3 not worth it?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I experienced the CWR loop after I used autonooter 3.0, which of course I had plenty of exp. removing CWR...

I reflashed CWR, rebooted, rebooted into CWR, and made a backup, then loaded up the 1.1Ghz kernel...still running just fine after that...

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok. So can jostarr just boot CWR off the sdcard and load the pre-rooted 1.1 rom that way if he is having problems rooting with autonooter?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I haven't tried running the pre-rooted rom over an unrooted 1.1 installation...so I don't know what would happen there.

If he can't get the autonooter working, I would suggest going back to 1.0.1 and following the CWR to 1.1pre-root path.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
I am a little confused.Where is your Nook at right now, are you on 1.1 unrooted? Is it booting up correctly now? Let us know the status of your Nook, and I then we can help a little further. I think rolling the device back, to 1.0 and sideloading the 1.0.1 update and using autonooter 2 might be easier process. I am not sure of the problems with Autonooter 3 and WinImage, because I havent used a nooter past 2.12.25, and I use a Mac last time I rooted.

Here is where things stand as of right now. My NC is on version 1.1.0 UNROOOTED. I want to try booting from the sd card. So,
if that means rolling back to 1.0 and sideloading the 1.0.1 upgrade, then I have no big concerns about doing that. My prference would be not to root with Autonooter 2 right now. But, to be able to BOOT from the sd card. This way I can get used to Android and Marketplace. At a later date I can then root the internal memory. That's my current thinking now. I really appreciate everyone's input. It has been most helpful during this learning stage.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
I'm not sure i know what you mean here: "If he can't get the autonooter working, I would suggest going back to 1.0.1 and following the CWR to 1.1pre-root path."

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Here is where things stand as of right now. My NC is on version 1.1.0 UNROOOTED. I want to try booting from the sd card. So,
if that means rolling back to 1.0 and sideloading the 1.0.1 upgrade, then I have no big concerns about doing that. My prference would be not to root with Autonooter 2 right now. But, to be able to BOOT from the sd card. This way I can get used to Android and Marketplace. At a later date I can then root the internal memory. That's my current thinking now. I really appreciate everyone's input. It has been most helpful during this learning stage.

OK, you're wanting to keep the internal as UNROOTED, and boot from SD a ROOTED 2.1.... I don't know if we have a bootable sd version of android 2.1 (which is what the B&N 1.0.0/1.0.1/1.1.0 version are).

However, you can create any of the available FroYo (2.2) or Honeycomb (3.0) bootable SD's and play around with Android and the Marketplace. But there's a few steps involved. I'd like to know if there is a bootable Android Eclair (2.1).

afallison

Feb 15, 2011
im having exactly the same issue as the OP. my nook came today and i attempted rooting after playing with it. i let it do it's thing for about an hour the little droid guy was on the screen working or whatever. then i just turned it off because i thought for sure it wasnt supposed to take that long. then i turned it back on and nothing. took the sd card out and nothing. i followed the instructions perfect so i never missed a step, mine came straight from bn.com today with 1.1 so im kinda confused. any ideas on how to at least get it to power up?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I do not know if there is a bootable 2.1 (2.1 Eclair is a stable operating system for nook, which autonooter produces through root). Bootable froyo (2.2) can be kind of risky, I would stay away from that.

There is a bootable unrooted Honeycomb I believe, and I think that is the safest but do not know since, I have not tried it.

Another semi-stable way of doing things is to root with autonooter, and then try it out. Do not install anything beyond autonooter (clockworkmod, etc), except for apps from the market. If you do not like the autonooter rooted NC you can always erase and factory restore it back to normal stock.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
I do not know if there is a bootable 2.1 (2.1 Eclair is a stable operating system for nook, which autonooter produces through root). Bootable froyo (2.2) can be kind of risky, I would stay away from that.

There is a bootable unrooted Honeycomb I believe, and I think that is the safest but do not know since, I have not tried it.

Another semi-stable way of doing things is to root with autonooter, and then try it out. Do not install anything beyond autonooter (clockworkmod, etc), except for apps from the market. If you do not like the autonooter rooted NC you can always erase and factory restore it back to normal stock.

Thanks Srelv. If I understand you correctly you are telling me:
1. That booting Froyo (2.2) of a sd card is risky. What are the risks?
2. Autonooter is the best most stable way to root the NC at present time?
3. To root with Autonooter, I will have to roll back from 1.1.0 to 1.0.1 ?

Last question...everybody says to do a back up before rooting. How do you do that without installing CWR? I thought CWR could only be installed on a roooted nook???

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
I wonder if I all the problems I was having with auto nooter 3 were related to this steep in the instructions?

If you want to update to 1.1.0 and then root it Auto Nooter, first you have to Completely Wipe, if it is not a out-of-box NOOKColor and then Update your NC to 1.1.0. Instructions and download link is here.

On both attempts, I didn't wipe...I didn't really notice that part before. What happens if you don't wipe first?
How do you wipe?