AVI file trouble on 8024

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I tried to play some AVI files taken on my cannon camera....they play fine everywhere I have tried (on camera, on win7 and XP MPlayer, on Samsung HDTV using a USB card reader) but NOT on my stock 8024. They studder for a few frames then play with color bars and color smear during the video. The 8024 thinks they are MP4?? Is there another working video player for AVI files from cannon camera?

Cozz

May 30, 2011
I use VPlayer Advanced for my media. I have several AVI files with different formats. One at 720p. All seem to work on the 8024. Just the 720p file is a bit studdery with the frame rate. Nothing to complain about but there is a difference.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
Thanks. I think I may of tried VPlayer??? I will try it again.

I will also look at the camera settings....maybe something in there as well.

Last edited:

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I tried Vplayer (2 versions) but neither will play any of my videos (AVI, MOV,MPEG) It starts to load the video but the just drops to the menu screen...no errors or force close??

Cozz I see Vplayer has a lot of settings....did you change any to make it work for you? Are you rooted (my 8024 is not)?

GoldPimp

May 26, 2011
Go to appslib and try realplayer beta. I use that with no problems with videos i have tried.

Sent from my MID7024 using Android Tablet Forum

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
GoldPimp - Just tried realplayer beta but it has the same trouble with my cannon AVI videos?? However I very much like the realplayer interface and will keep it as a picture viewer and music player...thank you!

I need to figure out why these cannon AVI files are not working well....I will check on my PC and look at bit rate, color depth and other settings I know little about. I do have video editing software so maybe I can load them in do a little needed editing and 'save as' AVI to see if they will work.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
Finally my Cannon snap-shot AVI files (really m-jpeg) play great using RockPlayer 1.7.2 Universal Player from their web site.:):):)
RockPlayer, fast and almost all formats player!

(I tried the AppsLib version but it did not work.)

Now I can just plug in my cannon 8 gig card and correctly view/play ALL files. This was a BIG reason for getting a tablet.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
I have a Canon Powershot P&S camera and the AVI movies it shoot will not play correctly using hardware decoding. I was only able to play it at rockplayer using software decoding :(

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I have a Cannon Powershot (SD790) also. If I use ES File Explorer to fine the AVI file and choose RockPlayer to view it...it just starts to play. I am not sure if it is hardware or software decoded. ( It seems that the 1st version I got from AppsLib I think, asked me which to use.)

RockPlayer 1.7.2 Universal just plays the file. Guess I don't care how it is decoded as long as I don't detect dropped frames...and I don't.