AVOID FocalPrice AT ALL COSTS! Crappy experience inside!

Discussion in 'Vendor Services Discussion' started by DaviDroid, Feb 19, 2013.

1. DaviDroid

DaviDroid Member

Tablet / Device:
    None yet
    It figures my first foray into buying a tablet would be a disaster. Its my fault though because I didn't do my due diligence. Anyway, here's my horror story with FocalPrice, probably the WORST experience I have had attempting to buy something.

I decided on Feb 17 to buy a tablet from them. I register on their site and check out with a credit card using their PayPal system (as a guest, not with a paypal account). Everything comes back processed and things are good- or so I think.

I get a message from them last night that I read this morning saying that, well let me cut and paste:

Look at #6!! If that doesn't say "i want to scam the crap out of you" I dont know what is!

I wrote them back saying I have no problems with 1-5, but they are not going to get a scan of my credit card due to security information on it, and to either ship my item since they have payment or cancel my order. Here is their reply:

Sure they can take my money immediately but to get it back is 15-25 days? I don't think so! I'm calling my credit card company in the morning and dispute the charge. This is rediculous.

Saving a few bucks is NOT worth the risk of identity theft. They change the terms of the sale AFTER they get your money! I cannot give a negative enough recommendation. At least if they immediately refund my money they will save some face. I wont hold my breath.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. tragidy

tragidy Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up some of these places are insane...

• Like Like x 2
  3. DaviDroid

DaviDroid Member

Tablet / Device:
    None yet
    You got that right, and its a wake up call that I need to assume everyone is out to scam until proven otherwise through reviews, feedback, etc. I'll admit its my doing because I was looking for a "throwaway" tablet and got sucked into the "wow, look at all these features for that price!" loop. The only good side is that I didn't order 3 of them (my in-laws were at the same time) because I said "lets see how ordering one works out".

At least I had some sanity I guess.

EDIT - I called my credit card company just now and it turns out they only have 15 days to refund after notifying of an order cancellation. If its not credited by March 6 I can launch a formal dispute.

4. DaviDroid

DaviDroid Member

Tablet / Device:
    None yet
    I sent them a message that 15-25 days was unacceptable and that they need to refund my money immediately since they were able to take it out immediately and didn't mention the need for a scan of my credit card. Here's the reply to this:

I am googling every review site and making sure everyone knows about this "scan of the credit card" after they get your money.

5. DaviDroid

DaviDroid Member

Tablet / Device:
    None yet
    Another rep last night sent me a message begging me not to cancel (emphasis is theirs, not mine):

Their fraud problems aren't my problem. What is my problem is them wanting security codes from my card and not divulging they want a scan of the card BEFORE taking my money. If they think I'm going to send them a copy of my card with all of its security information they are crazy.

They WILL ask for a scan of BOTH SIDES of your credit card for ANY order. You have been warned.

6. DaviDroid

DaviDroid Member

Tablet / Device:
    None yet
    As of sometime in the last 24 hours my order with them went from "paid and unshipped" to "invalid" and I have an order in their "refunded orders" bucket for processing. I also asked them to send a message to my email address (twice) confirming my cancellation instead of using their messaging system. What I got back was a message from a bunch of numbers at qq.com (something like 825792587@qq.com) instead of from a focalprice.com address. At least they got the order number right.

What a waste of time, but at least I have built up my paper trail and as I get new information I send it to the credit card company in case they do not comply by the the 6th.

7. DaviDroid

DaviDroid Member

Tablet / Device:
    None yet
    Update this morning. Last night I received two replies about this matter (there were two messages opened about this request). In one message about wanting an email from something other than 9824759825398247985627@qq.com, i get this reply:

So in other words, they cannot/will not send an email from an address based on focalprice.com. Weak.

Then I get this message regarding their scan of the credit card and how their fraud is not my concern:

So now its changed from 15-25 days to 15-20 BUSINESS days for them to credit me.

I don't think so. My credit card has already been notified and I have printed proof of when things were cancelled. They're not holding on to my money.

If anyone would do business with this company after seeing this, I dont know what to tell you.

AVOID THIS COMPANY!

8. DaviDroid

DaviDroid Member

Tablet / Device:
    None yet
    Seven hours after I get the "15-20" days email, I respond that I've already contacted my credit card company and they have 15 calendar days to refund my money from when the order was cancelled (19 feb) before I can open a fraud claim and if its not back by March 6 im opening a fraud claim. Fifteen hours after that (almost 24 hours from the "15-20 days" email) I get the following:

So 15 to 25 days becomes 15-20 business days becomes 7-13 days. According to paypal its already been credited to my credit card the same day. As soon as I verify its back on my card I am reporting these fraudsters to paypal.