Background data use

Dr_H

Nov 19, 2011
I use my VZW SGT mostly via WiFi.

I realize streaming audio/video and mega-downloads are the primary data hogs.

Still, given the variety of status updating apps running in the background - e.g. GPS, EMail, news/weather feeds, Dropbox sync, etc. - how real is the risk of gobbling up the cheapest data allotment when I'm out & about?

Should I be hiding in airplane mode?

- - -
Sent from my VZW SGT using Android Tablet Forum

Dr_H

Nov 19, 2011
Really was hoping someone would pick up on this ...

Less than one month in, after receiving my first bill, I've learned that my "Use WiFi to limit 3G data use" plan suffered a fatal flaw -- even when using WiFi, 3G connectivity continues unless manually disabled. (Something the VZW sales rep either didn't know or didn't reveal!)

I'm using VZW's Auto WiFi on and Ben Hirashima's Unlock with WiFi and was under the impression that doing so I would be using WiFi only.

Since the discovery, I have tried toggling the Data Network Mode from the power down window but that doesn't seem to change anything (the 3G signal bars remain).
When I switch on Airplane Mode (again manually) that also disables the WiFi.

So ... how 'bout it? Is there a way to seamlessly use the SGT (or any 'droid device for that matter) linked only via WiFi?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Really was hoping someone would pick up on this ...

Less than one month in, after receiving my first bill, I've learned that my "Use WiFi to limit 3G data use" plan suffered a fatal flaw -- even when using WiFi, 3G connectivity continues unless manually disabled. (Something the VZW sales rep either didn't know or didn't reveal!)

I'm using VZW's Auto WiFi on and Ben Hirashima's Unlock with WiFi and was under the impression that doing so I would be using WiFi only.

Since the discovery, I have tried toggling the Data Network Mode from the power down window but that doesn't seem to change anything (the 3G signal bars remain).
When I switch on Airplane Mode (again manually) that also disables the WiFi.

So ... how 'bout it? Is there a way to seamlessly use the SGT (or any 'droid device for that matter) linked only via WiFi?

Been using mine on 2gb plan. Use it daily to browse read and a video once a day. so far staying well within the 2gb plan. For apps turn off automatic updates that way you update only when in wifi

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk